What's new
What's new

Mazak Quick Turn 6T, Turret Alarms 398/399

Tap_or_Die

Cast Iron
Hey guys,

I need some help with my mazak. As the title reads it's throwing a 398 and 399 alarm. Turret ref position unfinished and turret switch malfunction. I think this may be a battery issue, but I dont know the location of the battery to check it. Does anybody know where it is? Any other suggestions on the alarms?

Thanks.

Good, I should be able to help you out then. If you have a tailstock there will be two sets of batteries. If that's the case then you might as well order two batteries because the tailstock will fail close behind the turret. Your cabinet layout might be a little different than mine. But they should be up to the top right. Itll be a J2 controller should be displaying an AL on the LED. The batteries are under a little plastic smoke colored cover. I have attached a couple pics, you can see the batteries, but the covers are removed. There is a procedure for resetting the turret reference. If you have the manual you should have it. If not I have it and you could PM me your e-mail and i'll send it to you. It's kind of a pain you might have to do it a couple times. Anyway, hope this helps you out

Well, I'm trying to post pics anyway. Maybe I don't have enough posts or something. Maybe there too big. I'll keep trying KIMG0327.jpgKIMG0328.jpgKIMG0329.jpg

Ok, there we go. Hope that leads you in the right direction

So I have attempted the reset procedure to no avail. It will still throw the 398 turret control alarm even if the ref. point is set. For some reason it doesnt like the tool 1 positioning, it will set easier on tool 8, but we know thats not right. Now Im thinking this may be an encoder issue. The VFD show 01,20,02 alarm numbers.

Last edited:
What does the 398 alarm say exactly? You have replaced the battery right? And the turret recognizes its correct position or no?

What does the 398 alarm say exactly? You have replaced the battery right? And the turret recognizes its correct position or no?

Alarm 398 is "Turret Controller Alarm"

Alarm 399 is "Turret Ref. Pos. Unfinished"

New battery, Turret does not recognize position.

Fixed it!

I was not doing the reset procedure right. I found out you have to hold the Pos. Set. and Tool Select buttons together until the turret stops rotating. After that it seems that it working properly.

Well I guess its not fixed, The turret indexes properly but the 398 alarm is still present at random times. I can verbally hear when it fails. Is there a lock or keeper that comes into play after indexing? Maybe its timing out to an alarm?

There is a prox switch inside the turret that will tell it when its fully clamped. But if that wasn't an issue before it shouldn't be a problem now. Bring your tool 1 pocket up to the cut position and make sure it's on the center line of the spindle. If it's not then your turret ref. is not set quite right.

Tool is on center. It seems like a time out switch or overload. I found the alarm code for the vfd, Not looking very good. I can only assume that maybe lightning struck over the weekend and toasted the motor and or the encoder.

View attachment 231655

Attachments

• servo alarm.jpg
    servo alarm.jpg
    18.4 KB · Views: 282
I think at this point I would call Mazak and see what they had to say. Does the turret index sound good? Not struggling or binding? Has it been crashed recently?

That might have something to do with it. Your vfd alarm is an overload it looks like so maybe something is binding in there. I've exhausted what little knowledge I have about it at this point. You could tear into the turret and see if you can see anything that looks wrong in there. Thats probably what I would do and If I couldnt find anything there I'd get Mazak on the phone and see what they had to say. Or call a tech In if you have one that can work on Mazak's. But these guys around here can't work on much. And they are lost on a Mazak. Sorry I couldnt be of more help. I'd be interested in knowing what it turns out to be. might be good to know for future reference.

Well I guess its not fixed, The turret indexes properly but the 398 alarm is still present at random times. I can verbally hear when it fails. Is there a lock or keeper that comes into play after indexing? Maybe its timing out to an alarm?

I'm reading through your posts here and thinking on this and I'm curious what you mean by you can verbally here it fail? Does the turret come unclamped and then throw the alarm?

One thing you can look at in diagnosis is PLC Signal. It should be number 48 INT CUT. Should be a zero at idle. 1 when you rotate the turret and back to zero as soon as its clamped. I think that will tell you whether the prox switch inside the turret is functioning right or not. If that signal is flakey i'd open up that turret and take a closer look at that switch. Just a thought.

I'm reading through your posts here and thinking on this and I'm curious what you mean by you can verbally here it fail? Does the turret come unclamped and then throw the alarm?

One thing you can look at in diagnosis is PLC Signal. It should be number 48 INT CUT. Should be a zero at idle. 1 when you rotate the turret and back to zero as soon as its clamped. I think that will tell you whether the prox switch inside the turret is functioning right or not. If that signal is flakey i'd open up that turret and take a closer look at that switch. Just a thought.

So the turret rotates, clamps, everything is in line, then after 1-2 secs of being in the clamped pos. there is a soft barely audible knock in the turret. Almost immediately the alarm signal shows up on the control.

Back