What's new
What's new

Mazak turning center with bar loader questions

jhtitan

Plastic
I have a few questions about a new turning center that is arriving soon. First the brand and model info: Mazak QT250 MSY.
We currently use an older Mazak Quick turn, too old to transfer my programs over to the new one. I am trying to get tooling ordered for the first jobs we are moving over to it and my questions are related to tooling and the bar loader we are getting with it.

I will start with the loader. Anyone know the best way to calculate the best bar length? Our jobs are typically 1000 parts or less so we opted for the Edge Rebel 80 bar loader. it has I think a 50" capacity however I would like to calculate my bar length to minimize the scrap. I have calculated my part length + 1/8" for parting tool and rounded up to the nearest 1/8". For example, part length of 9.21" + .125" rounded up would be 9.375 * 5 is 46.85 or 46.875"

This is my first time working with a bar loader or a secondary spindle, so I am not sure if I need to add any extra. This part is only getting about 3/4" of NPT on both ends.

That leads me to tooling. Do i need a left and right handed threading tool? I was thinking I could thread either direction with the threading tool but, after looking at some info I am guessing I will not have the clearance from the primary tool holder and will need a secondary spindle tool holder installed with a second tool.

Thanks for the help, or at least for taking the time to read this far.

Jon

Last edited:
I don't fully understand the bar feeder question.

Apparently your part length is 9" and not .9"?
If .9, just cut your bars 48" and forget it.
If 9", then you may want to cut 50, 50, and 44.

As for the threading toys, you will need either a LH or a RH upside down for the other end - if done on the sub.
I would go with a second RH tool so that you cane have 1 spare rather than 2.

-------------------

Think Snow Eh!
Ox

yea I changed that it is 9.210"

I am wanting to get a bar length that is not going to be dropping 4" of scrap off every bar. If I can get the bar length to a size that allows the last part to pretty much be the end of the bar. I am more wondering if I should keep a small stub of material in the main spindle on the last part or not. If I am holding the part in both spindles when I part off will that cause an issue with the last part if the main spindle does not have something to grip on?

I know I will need a set number of parts for the bar loader to know when to stick the next bar in. I am being impatient and waiting on the applications engineer to get back with me. He is out on site somewhere and wont get back to me today.

Jon

The feeder will know when it's on the last bar.
I run LNS, but I'm sure that your machine will know how much material is there.
It will tell YOU how many parts it can make with what you gave it, not the other way around.

I really think that you are getting your cart ahead of the horse here in worrying about this now, but for discussion porpoises....

It's all in how you lay the job out.

If you cut off at .500 outside the collet, then yeah, a 48" bar may work fine.

If you cut off at Z0 - prolly not.

So, if you pull with the sub, you will want to have your Z0 out far enough for the thread, and then for a reasonable patch for the sub to chuck on.

Open sub collet
Synch spindles (may want to leave at 100rpm if the feeder is actively pushing)
move sub into position
close sub
G4 X1.
open main collet
G4 X1.
pull out far enough that you can park your cut-off .5 from the main collet face
close main collet
Move cut-off to Z position
Move to X position
Speed up spindles
Perform cut-off
Move X and sub to home positions M5

Go ahead and run your sub routine to produce the other thread

Now, your bar is not out far enough yet, so take your trigon up to X.1 Z.08
Open main collet
G4 X1.
Close main collet
G4 X1.
T0 X15. Z10.
M2

More info than you asked, but that should about cover it.

Of course that's the G-code version.
I have no clue how that looks in Mazatrol.

------------

Think Snow Eh!
Ox

bar length is going to be dictated by your spindle. you don't want unsupported material sticking out of the spindle. You can get away with some depending on dia. x length, but to much and bad things start happening.

All in all, we all deal with Remnants though. I plan the best I can, but I quit trying to save $2 worth of material. I just plan on using it for other projects.

It's better to have more than you need, than not enough in the Chuck for the last part.

R

Back