Mazatrol Nexus, endmill roughing by profile?
Close
Login to Your Account
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Texas
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Mazatrol Nexus, endmill roughing by profile?

Mazak 510c, Nexus controller.

I'm trying to figure out how to program. Today I was trying to program a endmill, line left. I could figure out how to get it to do multiple roughing passes by step machining, but not profile. I ended up copying the unit and changing the "FIN-R" value for each pass. There is a "WID-R" but it had a little diamond in it and I couldn't select it.

Just to make sure I'm not talking about something totally different, step machining is where the endmill will go around the profile say 0.100" deep in Z at a time, getting deeper and deeper until it hits it's depth. Profile machining is full depth, with passes around the profile/shape.

Another thing I was trying to figure out was "VFC" I couldn't find it in the brief moment I had to look in the manual. Couldn't get the button to do anything.

This program wasn't the final product, but similar. "SRV-Z" and "SRV-R" and "DEP-Z" really didn't seem to matter. "SRV-R" didn't seem to make it take any extra passes. "SRV-Z" and "DEP-Z" are related, but 1.2 depth is 0.020" past the part. I could have told it 0.010" on SRV-Z and DEP-Z 0.001" and then it would have done the step machining, 10 passes that is.

img_3347.jpg
    img_3348.jpg
    img_3349.jpg

Thanks,
    Higgins909
    Last edited by Higgins909; 06-02-2021 at 07:05 PM. Reason: Deleted extra attatchments.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Not a lot of help. but there is a VFC button on the control? Hard button. It will do nothing at all. BUT, if you use the arrow keys to override feed/speed/rpm? If your override sounds good then push the VFC button while in that unit. It will write that change back to the program.
    Yeah, had same problem as yours. Line Out had a lot of material to remove. Needed 2 units to do this.

3. Likes Higgins909, Slugo liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Texas
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Scruffy887 View Post
    Not a lot of help. but there is a VFC button on the control? Hard button. It will do nothing at all. BUT, if you use the arrow keys to override feed/speed/rpm? If your override sounds good then push the VFC button while in that unit. It will write that change back to the program.
    Yeah, had same problem as yours. Line Out had a lot of material to remove. Needed 2 units to do this.
    Is that what VFC is for? I thought it was Variable Feed Control and to help chatter. But looking in the manual I was able to find online (vaguely similar to one at work) I was wondering if I should be using a Line Out instead of Line Left. Or maybe a End Mill Step or Pocket Mill Mountain under Face Machining. Those two actually have a "WID-R". I would have thought there would of been a easy way to program this. I wonder how you would make a complex shape from a billet and there be lots of extra material in certain spots. Thanks for helping.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Variable Feed Control button IS for controlling chatter. You override the feed/speeds and often can make chatter go completely away. Or maybe the sound tells you a more aggressive cut can be tried. Do the override with the arrows and listen. If it sounds good you push that button and it will write that back to the Mazatrol program. You MUST push it while running that unit! If you override and do not push that button all following units will run at the override, bad things may happen.
    Note that the VFC writes back to a single unit so if you have 2 different LINE LEFT units with same tool/chipload it will only change the unit where you pushed the button. Once that button is pushed the override is written and override goes back to zero for next unit. Often I do a VFC and stop the program. I go back to the program and note the new feed/speed and change all other units to match. Then RESTART where I left off.