What's new
What's new

Measure cat 40 Tools outside of Machine - How to hold tool ?

Flying Freak

Aluminum
Hello,

So thinking of moving over to measuring tools outside of the machine. Already have a suitable height gauge and granite table. What do you guys use to hold the cat40 Holders. Does anyone make a precision female taper for this application?

Hello,

So thinking of moving over to measuring tools outside of the machine. Already have a suitable height gauge and granite table. What do you guys use to hold the cat40 Holders. Does anyone make a precision female taper for this application?

Yeah a bunch of people I imagine. I've got one in my box, I'll check it for a manufacturer stamp tomorrow. One thing I found, and I don't know if this is the same everywhere or not. If you've got two end mills that are brand new and you want them to blend together while bottom cutting. Run the height gauge indicator over the highest point on the shortest flute tooth. Worked every time on VariMills.

To be honest since im a machinist just like the guy who make these for a realy expensive pricetag for a sinple piece i simply took a piece of 3" crs that was laying around the shop full of dust and 1/2 hours later i had my tool made. No shipping cost too was realy worth it.

I don't know where to get them so I chucked up a cat 40 holder in the lathe. Indicated the taper with compound, and turned one up. Made it .01" long and then with gauge blocks measured the distance between my spindle face and holder. Used that number for final facing of my spindle gauge. Works great and way faster than "in machine" measuring.

We have an old one from Maatsura. I see them on Ebay for like $800.

If you have the means, you could make your own. It's based on the gauge height I believe on the taper.

I've got a CAT50 pot from Command Tool. It's very nice, hardened and ground. The bottom surface is also ground so the tool is perpendicular to the surface plate. It was expensive though.

Back