What's new
What's new

Help inturpulating hole

Joeq625

Plastic
Hi, I'm trying to make a 1.5" hole that's 3" deep and I'm using an 1" carbide than coated. I keep getting chatter while cutting cam anyone help me out with the speed and feed and depth of cut? I'm also helixing down.

Hi, I'm trying to make a 1.5" hole that's 3" deep and I'm using an 1" carbide than coated. I keep getting chatter while cutting cam anyone help me out with the speed and feed and depth of cut? I'm also helixing down.

Details, details, details ...

Machine: make, model, year, controller, hp, rpm's?

Tool: 1" carbide what? Length, flutes, coating?

Part: Size, weight, configuration, material?

Workholding: Vice, chuck, vee-block, double-stick tape, bungee cords?

A 1" solid carbide tool is fairly sturdy in and of itself. Are you hearing chatter or chip recutting? Basically, are you getting the chips out of the hole fast enough?

If it is actual chatter, I'd probably use my CAM and program a spiral helix for a tapered wall. It would not have to be much taper, just enough to keep moving the side of the cutter away from the wall already cut, thereby reducing the chatter tendency. Then go back in with a profile milling operation to clean and square up the wall.

3" depth so tool sticking out of tool holder more than 3" is getting to be long length. often this means reducing rpm considerably
if no pilot hole thats hard on end mill. helixing down often many end mills only got one or 2 center cutting flutes so need reduced feed.
always take finish out after roughing the hole. if roughed out hole .020" small finish cut a lot easier to do.
i would recommend drill a hole first at least 1" dia

Chatter from a 1" carbide tool cutting a hole 2xD deep?

Did you clamp the part or just set it gently on the table? Forget to torque the screw/nut on the toolholder?

Is it actually chatter or the metal tearing and looking fuzzy like 1018 can do sometimes?

Are you using too-aggressive of a helix ramp angle?

ETA: Looking at the user name, maybe this is a "joeq" post and I just don't get the punchline.

I'm cutting with a solid carbide square endmill coated with TICN it has 4 flutes 2 center cutting.3inch cut length 6inch overall length sticking out of holeder about 3.25. I have predrilled a 1inch hole. Cutting steel 4041 I think. Part is being held in a vice. Also have coolant.

4140 maybe?

Good info so far. How about feed settings, rpm, and ramp angle?

What kind of vise. What kind of machine.

Have a kurt visewas running at 800 rpm and 4.5ipm not sure the helix angle cam software figured that out, each rotation is .02 deep. Running on a fadal.

Have a kurt visewas running at 800 rpm and 4.5ipm not sure the helix angle cam software figured that out, each rotation is .02 deep. Running on a fadal.

are you using tool dia comp of like 1.000" or wear comp of like -.002" cause this effects actual feed rate at circle circumference. i would try 300 rpm and slow feed til chatter reduced. often longer tools respond better to just using slower rpm. got nothing to do with chips too hot its more a chatter at higher rpm with long tools

hy rob :)

What possible difference would it make if the code were hand written or generated by software?

... a lot :)

Do the fat fingers make programs in operation worse somehow? Jockey

before i was in charge with a classical sector ; after i moved to cnc's ... and sitting on a chair in front of a pc actually made me a bit more fat :) i also feel less agile and gummy ... i will go practice some sports : hand written code + finger weights :)

Back