Close
Login to Your Account
    Country
    UNITED KINGDOM
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default MICRO DNC 2 - tested

I struggled to find much info on these before I pulled the trigger, so sharing this in case it is any use to others.

The unit is a small DNC drip feed to rs232 device that acts as a standalone micro PC, it has wifi and USB slots and can download files off the controller, upload them to the controller or drip feed them to the controller.

Seemed a good purchase, as I don't have a PC in the shop, I use my laptop, and didn't fancy drip feeding whilst running CAD/CAM on the same machine in case something stuttered, plus if someone else is running the machines (plans for the future) then I can't always leave my laptop at the shop.

I was considering buying an old PC to do it, but by the time I bought it, monitor, keyboard, mouse, licences for OS etc it would have been a similar price - so I figured I had nothing to loose.

I was fully expecting a horror box of a job getting it to talk to my retro Fanuc OT-B lathe, but I plugged it in, stuck it to the side of the machine using the magnets and it fired up (power off the rs-232 cable) and I downloaded the parameters by only changing the baud rate to the 4800 required by my control.

Uploading a program was just as straight forward, straight off a usb stick in the side of the mico DNC 2, straight into the control.

Need to try DNC a file next, but never done lathe CAD/CAM before (always hand coded) so need to set up tool libraries etc. My test file was about 10 lines long and hand written in notepad on my PC.

I haven't tested the wifi, but a USB stick is super quick, and a workflow I am used to with my HAAS mill, so I am very happy.

£170 well spent.

2. Likes Rick Finsta, bryan_machine, Volitan liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Is that the one on ebay that has the screen on it where you can watch a backplot of your code?

Country
    UNITED KINGDOM
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Yes, this is a link to the one I bought

MICRO DNC 2 . DNC RS232. DNC DEVICE FOR CNC MACHINE | eBay

5. Likes Volitan liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Well thanks for posting about it. I linked to it in another thread weeks ago and it seemed like no on had heard of it.
    I'm considering this similar one, glad to hear they work.
    Micro DNC - Low cost USB READER for CNC machines - USB to RS232 converter 851059006631 | eBay

Country
    UNITED KINGDOM
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

If I have understood that is the one without wifi, I only found one positive review of it, the rest seemed like sellers posts trying to flog it, so figured it would be helpful to share.