What's new
What's new

Mid 80's Matsura VMC Support

Dan from Oakland

Titanium
I have a friend with a Matsura VMC from the mid 80's. I recall that Methods Machine Tool was the importer of those machines. Anyone have any idea if they still offer tech support for those machines. It has a single line display on the control if that helps. He is having some axis homing issues and needs some assistance with that. If you know anyone who is knowledgeable on these a PM would be great as well. thanks all. Dan

Methods imported them but I think Selway was the dealer for the west coast. I would very much doubt that there is anyone at either company that is going to be much help on a 35 year old machine.

I'm thinking your friends machine is probably a little older than mid 80s if it just has a single line readout. By the mid 80s it would have been a Fanuc 6M most likely or possibly Fanuc 3M. If it was Yasnac then it would be an MX1 or MX2. CRTs were pretty much standard on those though on the earliest 6m series the CRT was an option. The single line readout controls were earlier and from Fanuc would be a 3000C or 5M and Yasnac would be a 3000G.

Early 80's 6M MX1 mid 80's MX2 MX3. That machine is late 78-79 the latest 1980. I have a mid 90's I80 Matsuura very hard to find support. Dont forget thats 30-35 years ago most guys that used to work on them are retired.

Hi Everyone- thanks for the input. I'll pass it along. He's aware of Selway, but he asked my opinion and unfortunately I've been the recipient of another friends recent rantings about issues he's having with Selway over a Haas service issue- 4 weeks to fix a software issue they seem to have created during a previous service call.
Friend #1 is not that knowledgeable on controls so I may have to drive over there and have a look see.
He's having a homing problem in Z and I'm thinking its a bad switch or I/O, but . . .

I have a friend with a Matsura VMC from the mid 80's. I recall that Methods Machine Tool was the importer of those machines. Anyone have any idea if they still offer tech support for those machines. It has a single line display on the control if that helps. He is having some axis homing issues and needs some assistance with that. If you know anyone who is knowledgeable on these a PM would be great as well. thanks all. Dan

I've called Methods a handful of times over the years for help on different Matsuuras (mid 80's to early 90's) at my old job. Each time I got this Russian sounding gentleman who was a little hard to understand but undeniably knew his shit on those older machines.

Just have your friend call and tell them he needs support on his Matsuura, it won't cost anything.

Probably a bad switch-that was the culprit on my Matsuura not wanting to home. Sato is the man your friend needs to talk to-probably who Volitan talked to at Methods. He no longer works there, he has his own company, Sato Electronics.

Back