MIKI Pulley controller DC drive/motor swap to 3 phase AC?
Close
Login to Your Account
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default MIKI Pulley controller DC drive/motor swap to 3 phase AC?

I have an 80's Kitamura that uses one of these little MIKI drive/motor setups in the toolchanger. The motor seems to be on the dead side.

What does this MIKI drive thing do that a 3 phase motor doesn't do? It's a small motor, maybe 1/4HP

The MIKI motor has a brake mounted to the shaft. I can easily mount the brake to an AC motor.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Washington
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Since the MIKI drive has speed control ability you would want to look at how it is interfaced to the PMC/PLC. If the MIKI drive is using an analog or digital speed setting input you would need to be sure to pick an inverter with a compatible input.

Controlling the brake timing might be a bit of a headache with a new controller.

All in all though, it probably is doable. Just a few details to figure out.

3. Likes Garwood liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Vancbiker View Post
    Since the MIKI drive has speed control ability you would want to look at how it is interfaced to the PMC/PLC. If the MIKI drive is using an analog or digital speed setting input you would need to be sure to pick an inverter with a compatible input.

Controlling the brake timing might be a bit of a headache with a new controller.

All in all though, it probably is doable. Just a few details to figure out.
    Thanks Kevin! Looks like speed control is manual with two potentiometers inside the cabinet. The MIKI drive seems like it's just on/off control and reverses through a pair of motor contactors.

I have a 1HP 3 phase gearmotor (zero backlash harmonic drive) with a brake on it that runs 130 RPM at 60HZ. The MIKI gearmotor would run 100 RPM at the rated RPM of the motor, but I do not know what speed it was set to run at. The MIKI drive is currently putting out 175/185 volts DC which is more than the 160/175 volts the motor is rated for. I'm guessing the motor started dying so a PO cranked up the voltage to keep it running for a bit. Hoping the design speed was closer to the 100 RPM.

I was thinking the bigger 1HP motor would be good if I need to run a VFD and slow the motor way down.

I'm working on fitting this AC motor/gearbox to the toolchanger without modifying anything on the machine (just bypass MIKI controller) that way if it doesn't work I can swap back.