What's new
What's new

Mill Right 5axis

I'd much rather have one of those other two machines you mentioned than that thing, and I wouldn't consider any of them to be more than toys.

That exact machine is available from the regular Chinese sources for 1/3-1/2 the price.

Depending on your use and username a SLA printer might make much more useable objects.

hmmm. Thats what i thought...Any other options I am missing? These are my needs: I do not have the space in my shop or the money to invest in a full size machine, but I need something that I can use regularly enough to be able to keep up my modeling skills and develop a better overall sense of what it takes to go from model to finished object (writing cam files, understanding limitations of process, etc) . When I need something produced at scale I want to be informed and able to provide the fabricator with quality ready to go files. For this reason the toy-class of machines don't necessarily scare me (I am primarily prototyping in foam and plastic) but I do not want something thats completely garbage. A 5axis machine seemed like the most efficient way to cover all my bases and gain exposure to some of the most relevant techniques.

hmmm. Thats what i thought...Any other options I am missing? These are my needs: I do not have the space in my shop or the money to invest in a full size machine, but I need something that I can use regularly enough to be able to keep up my modeling skills and develop a better overall sense of what it takes to go from model to finished object (writing cam files, understanding limitations of process, etc) . When I need something produced at scale I want to be informed and able to provide the fabricator with quality ready to go files. For this reason the toy-class of machines don't necessarily scare me (I am primarily prototyping in foam and plastic) but I do not want something thats completely garbage. A 5axis machine seemed like the most efficient way to cover all my bases and gain exposure to some of the most relevant techniques.

You seem to have very intelligently analyzed your needs, and the limitations you can live with as well. I think you will find better information pertenant to those needs from a different forum, perhaps “something zoneish” or along those lines. The old farts around here will just waste your time trash talkin you for even looking at a mini mill.

I think if more designers took your thoughfull approach we would live in a better world!:cheers:

hmmm. Thats what i thought...Any other options I am missing? These are my needs: I do not have the space in my shop or the money to invest in a full size machine.

image_22585.jpg

That POS you posted is a toy. Why do newbies always think they need 5 Axis? The thing is only 5 Axis positioning, like the pic I posted. Get a Mini Mill and learn to set it up.

R

The biggest problem with machines like the PocketNC is that they're SO SMALL that you are completely handicapped in even fooling around with them. What the heck are you going to make in it? Engraving a challenge coin is only going to be fun about 2 times and then you've got a $7,000 paperweight that has no uses. You can't make parts for your car, motorcycle, etc. I think you need an ideal, dedicated use for any machines in that realm before you can justify them.

You seem to have very intelligently analyzed your needs, and the limitations you can live with as well!
What makes you think that? That bloke cant even buy a carriage return.

Prototyping in foam and plastic? Cyanidekid, are you sure you are in the right spot?

[/COLOR]Prototyping in foam and plastic? Cyanidekid, are you sure you are in the right spot?

Haha! Look, if that’s how the OP is going to design better parts, good for her/him!
Please note that the intent is to refine the design and the files BEFORE sending them to a fabricator to be made in (presumably) metal. Sounds like a great idea to me!

Back