What's new
What's new

Mill Turn Programming : Fanuc Controller X Y C

aldepoalo

Stainless
Question:

If you are programming a mill turn machine, that support X Y and C programming on a fanuc controller are you prone to use polar coordinates?

I understand that if you run with Y it's more rigid. But you can run out of travel, where polar programming is optimized for the travel limits.

When it comes to reading and writing the code, what do you feel the draw backs are to using polar coordinates?

Question:

If you are programming a mill turn machine, that support X Y and C programming on a fanuc controller are you prone to use polar coordinates?
Hello aldepoalo,

Yes.

I understand that if you run with Y it's more rigid. But you can run out of travel, where polar programming is optimized for the travel limits.

Correct

When it comes to reading and writing the code, what do you feel the draw backs are to using polar coordinates?
None really. It's the same as reading X/Y only that C is interpreted as Y.

Regards,

Bill

The 0i controller on ours will only do either incremental commands on the sub *or* polar on the sub. Not a huge deal since we can always just post out absolute code on the sub "C" axis.

Also you will can dwell marks in polar where the relative speeds of the cutter and part go to zero for an instant (where the C axis changes rotational direction). Never been an issue for us but if you required a certain surface finish it may become a problem.

I like polar - super easy to program with G12.1/G112 IMHO.

We have a Doosan 5100LY and the smaller 3100LY. For our parts it works best to program in absolute due to needing to control the angles of the walls and floors. We have tried before using custom ground cutters that could take it in 1 pass on our lathes with just live tooling, but the cost of the cutters was too prohibitive.

But you can feed at a high feed rate, therefore, not much of a drawback.

Regards,

Bill

That would depend on control I think. Some machines are limited on feed moves such as 500ipm or so where as a rapid move might be 1200ipm. Likely not a huge deal on the short moves in an 8" chuck or whatever...

But you can feed at a high feed rate, therefore, not much of a drawback.

Regards,

Bill

G1 and G0 have very different acceleration curves, and some machines handle that better than others.

For our Doosan (18i control) I have my post configured to convert rapid moves to fast feed moves in polar mode, but the actual movements on the machine are so sharp and abrupt that it makes me uncomfortable using it.

For that reason alone I avoid polar and post as 4ax rotary instead.

Back