What's new
What's new

Milling Chucks by manufacturer

afdei495

Plastic
Hello All
First post be gentle.

I am in the process of setting up our company's first VMC cell, with a new Haas VF2-SS. So Cat40, 12k spindle. Only machining 316 stainless steel, with sizes around 1"x2"x4". Surface finish is probably the most important metric, then dimensional tolerance.

With a lot of input from this site, I will likely go with Maritool for ER collet systems. However for final finishing, I'd like to use milling chucks, which Maritool does not provide.

How do milling chucks compare between manufacturers? Are the techniks comparable to lyndexs?

Thank you

Hello All
First post be gentle.

I am in the process of setting up our company's first VMC cell, with a new Haas VF2-SS. So Cat40, 12k spindle. Only machining 316 stainless steel, with sizes around 1"x2"x4". Surface finish is probably the most important metric, then dimensional tolerance.

With a lot of input from this site, I will likely go with Maritool for ER collet systems. However for final finishing, I'd like to use milling chucks, which Maritool does not provide.

How do milling chucks compare between manufacturers? Are the techniks comparable to lyndexs?

Thank you

Can't speak to those two brands but he erickson (kennametal) ones are terrible. The GS ones are great.

Before you dive into milling chucks, take a look at SK or SA tools. The angle is half of what a ER collet it (8 vs 16°) and so provide better runout and tool holding power. Since you're placing a Maritool order anyways I suggest tossing a SK holder and collet into your cart and giving it a shot. We use SK exclusively for finishing some large stainless parts and the finish is noticeable better axially and on the face.

Check out these hydraulic holders

TENDO E compact

In my experience they are just as good as a milling chuck. Very easy and fast to change out a tool as well.

I'm not sure that we want hydraulic holders because their higher cost for holder and sleeves.
Do you have a reason that they are worth the extra cost?

Before you dive into milling chucks, take a look at SK or SA tools. The angle is half of what a ER collet it (8 vs 16°) and so provide better runout and tool holding power. Since you're placing a Maritool order anyways I suggest tossing a SK holder and collet into your cart and giving it a shot. We use SK exclusively for finishing some large stainless parts and the finish is noticeable better axially and on the face.

Do you mean SK collets are better than milling chucks, or just that you've gotten excellent surface finish with SK? The SK tool holders have a smaller OD than milling chucks, so that would be a good reason to go with them. We have a couple spots that require a bit of reach.

Thank you

The finish is better than a typical ER or sidelock system. We haven't needed to use hydraulic with the success we've had with SK holders.

I have personally been really impressed with Techniks. I have mostly ER16 and ER32 from them, and the quality and accuracy of the holders and collets is very, very good. The price is excellent, as you probably know.

I also have a single Schunk hydraulic holder, and it's extremely nice, and was not very expensive. This one...

schunk-hydraulic-tool-holder-500x500.jpg

Admittedly, I don't do much stainless (if I can avoid it), but had a couple of large parts to make recently out of 304, and did everything using Techniks ER32 holders with no issues at all.

PM

This series is cheaper than their regular holders. I paid $300 Canadian for a Cat40 3/4 holder. Sleeves are around $100 each. I just found they are the same or cheaper than a quality milling chuck and easier to use.

I have a few Nikkon milling chucks and am very happy with them. I also have allot of Schunk hydraulic holders, be very careful when side milling with a hydraulic chuck, the cutter WILL pull out, there is nowhere near the clamping force, if you do mostly side milling with aggressive cuts, stick with the milling chuck.

Back