What's new
What's new

Milling Extra Sacrificial Stock

Vishrut

Aluminum
Hi All,

Need a little help.

Attached is one of the strips which we are machining.

OP1 includes Overall outer boundary machining, facing side one, drilling/boring these holes. So most work is done. Only remaining is removing extra material in OP 2. Highlighted in blue color.

This is a job where sizes are many, individual qty is less to justify dedicated OP 2 fixture cost. All those go in a set.

Again, making identical soft jaws won't be justifiable.
Lengths vary from 4" and go all the way upto 10".

Suggestions for OP 2 please ?
strip.jpg

Hi All,

Need a little help.

Attached is one of the strips which we are machining.

OP1 includes Overall outer boundary machining, facing side one, drilling/boring these holes. So most work is done. Only remaining is removing extra material in OP 2. Highlighted in blue color.

This is a job where sizes are many, individual qty is less to justify dedicated OP 2 fixture cost. All those go in a set.

Again, making identical soft jaws won't be justifiable.
Lengths vary from 4" and go all the way upto 10".

Suggestions for OP 2 please ?
View attachment 330000

It looks like you could just Blanchard grind the backside off.

Yuck.

Use a straight edge for orientation and clamp in two places, mill accessible areas, then move the clamps and mill the remaining stock?

That or leave extra material in three or four places that you can clamp onto and then just tab them off on OP2?

Yuck.

Use a straight edge for orientation and clamp in two places, mill accessible areas, then move the clamps and mill the remaining stock?

That or leave extra material in three or four places that you can clamp onto and then just tab them off on OP2?
Doing exactly right now. Takes time fiddling twice with clamps.

Sent from my Redmi Note 7 Pro using Tapatalk

you say they are different lengths, but are they the same radius/diameter?

Because if they were the same radius, or maybe you only have a few different radii, then you could use the same jaws for the long one as the short one, if you're just facemilling the back off...

Another vote for Blanchard Grind.

Or maybe vacuum table, mag table, etc..
Wondering if can take big cuts in mag table. Material is 1095 heat treated steel ~ 28-30 HRC. Stock to be removed is almost 3mm deep.

you say they are different lengths, but are they the same radius/diameter?

Because if they were the same radius, or maybe you only have a few different radii, then you could use the same jaws for the long one as the short one, if you're just facemilling the back off...
Can't. Multiple Radii starting from R125 all the way upto R200 mm. Each pc has different radii.

Almost 3mm stock to be removed. Will take too long IMHO.

Yup. Ours is a mini version sort of [emoji3]. Just 10HP motor.

No it won't.
1. Your running the BG and the first OP at the same time.
2. Your running multiple parts on the BG table at one time.
3. The set-up time on the BG is almost nill, just squeegee off the table, load new parts.
4. Those parts look like they will stick well to the magnet, put the load meter right up to "10".

Are the holes just clearance for screws, Location fairly open?

Why not..
1:finish thickness and put in holes
2:Bolt to scrap plate using screw holes and profile mill.

It will probably be easier to keep them flat this way, and you can allow the entire profile to spring before you do a finish pass. If you really had to you could even leave a bit of stock on the holes and finish mill them to get thee size/position as true as possible.

That was my first thought as well but I couldn't come up with how to easily/quickly handle all the different parts with differing radii and hole patterns.

Are the holes just clearance for screws, Location fairly open?

Why not..
1:finish thickness and put in holes
2:Bolt to scrap plate using screw holes and profile mill.

It will probably be easier to keep them flat this way, and you can allow the entire profile to spring before you do a finish pass. If you really had to you could even leave a bit of stock on the holes and finish mill them to get thee size/position as true as possible.

If you've got a "Plate full of holes" what is to keep the operator from loading the next part (In the middle of a run) from picking the wrong holes, and trashing the tool & part ?

Almost 3mm stock to be removed. Will take too long IMHO.

Nah, blanchard grinders remove that much stock all the time.
Besides, it will be faster than milling them to thickness because you can toss a bunch of them onto the grinder at a time.
I'd seriously look into that.

One might drill the holes on the mill and with a special faceplate turn that radius on the lathe, might make it full round and so two parts made in one setup.

Q: 132.66 mm?
132.66 mm is the outer radius of profile. Shown just to get an idea of the size.

If you've got a "Plate full of holes" what is to keep the operator from loading the next part (In the middle of a run) from picking the wrong holes, and trashing the tool & part ?

I was thinking volume to be low enough that it didn't really matter, job shop type work that requires some level of skill.
No reason he couldn't pop a few extra holes in each blank to locate on pins. He should also be able to use less material this way since he can nest parts instead of milling all the extra away.

Back