Milling Extra Sacrificial Stock
Close
Login to Your Account
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 25
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    India
    Posts
    215
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    128
    Likes (Received)
    18

    Default Milling Extra Sacrificial Stock

    Hi All,

    Need a little help.

    Attached is one of the strips which we are machining.

    OP1 includes Overall outer boundary machining, facing side one, drilling/boring these holes. So most work is done. Only remaining is removing extra material in OP 2. Highlighted in blue color.

    This is a job where sizes are many, individual qty is less to justify dedicated OP 2 fixture cost. All those go in a set.

    Again, making identical soft jaws won't be justifiable.
    Lengths vary from 4" and go all the way upto 10".

    Suggestions for OP 2 please ?
    strip.jpg

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Pennsylvania
    Posts
    22,544
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Vishrut View Post
    Hi All,

    Need a little help.

    Attached is one of the strips which we are machining.

    OP1 includes Overall outer boundary machining, facing side one, drilling/boring these holes. So most work is done. Only remaining is removing extra material in OP 2. Highlighted in blue color.

    This is a job where sizes are many, individual qty is less to justify dedicated OP 2 fixture cost. All those go in a set.

    Again, making identical soft jaws won't be justifiable.
    Lengths vary from 4" and go all the way upto 10".

    Suggestions for OP 2 please ?
    strip.jpg
    It looks like you could just Blanchard grind the backside off.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Sep 2017
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Wisconsin
    Posts
    1,470
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    387
    Likes (Received)
    925

    Default

    Yuck.

    Use a straight edge for orientation and clamp in two places, mill accessible areas, then move the clamps and mill the remaining stock?

    That or leave extra material in three or four places that you can clamp onto and then just tab them off on OP2?

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Michigan
    Posts
    6,145
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    5754
    Likes (Received)
    3928

    Default

    Another vote for Blanchard Grind.

    Or maybe vacuum table, mag table, etc..

  5. Likes Vishrut liked this post
  6. #5
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    India
    Posts
    215
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    128
    Likes (Received)
    18

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Rick Finsta View Post
    Yuck.

    Use a straight edge for orientation and clamp in two places, mill accessible areas, then move the clamps and mill the remaining stock?

    That or leave extra material in three or four places that you can clamp onto and then just tab them off on OP2?
    Doing exactly right now. Takes time fiddling twice with clamps.

    Sent from my Redmi Note 7 Pro using Tapatalk

  7. #6
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    MI, USA
    Posts
    1,032
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    72
    Likes (Received)
    436

    Default

    you say they are different lengths, but are they the same radius/diameter?

    Because if they were the same radius, or maybe you only have a few different radii, then you could use the same jaws for the long one as the short one, if you're just facemilling the back off...

  8. #7
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    India
    Posts
    215
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    128
    Likes (Received)
    18

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mtndew View Post
    Another vote for Blanchard Grind.

    Or maybe vacuum table, mag table, etc..
    Wondering if can take big cuts in mag table. Material is 1095 heat treated steel ~ 28-30 HRC. Stock to be removed is almost 3mm deep.

    Sent from my Redmi Note 7 Pro using Tapatalk

  9. #8
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    India
    Posts
    215
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    128
    Likes (Received)
    18

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by digger doug View Post
    It looks like you could just Blanchard grind the backside off.
    Almost 3mm stock to be removed. Will take too long IMHO.

    Sent from my Redmi Note 7 Pro using Tapatalk

  10. #9
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    India
    Posts
    215
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    128
    Likes (Received)
    18

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by dandrummerman21 View Post
    you say they are different lengths, but are they the same radius/diameter?

    Because if they were the same radius, or maybe you only have a few different radii, then you could use the same jaws for the long one as the short one, if you're just facemilling the back off...
    Can't. Multiple Radii starting from R125 all the way upto R200 mm. Each pc has different radii.

    Sent from my Redmi Note 7 Pro using Tapatalk

  11. #10
    Join Date
    Aug 2015
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Utah
    Posts
    8
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    15
    Likes (Received)
    3

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Vishrut View Post
    Wondering if can take big cuts in mag table. Material is 1095 heat treated steel ~ 28-30 HRC. Stock to be removed is almost 3mm deep.

    Sent from my Redmi Note 7 Pro using Tapatalk
    I was just shown this recently. https://www.techniksusa.com/product/...c-workholding/ it looked pretty neat.

  12. Likes Vishrut liked this post
  13. #11
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Florida
    Posts
    6,367
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    2537
    Likes (Received)
    3151

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Vishrut View Post
    Almost 3mm stock to be removed. Will take too long IMHO.

    Sent from my Redmi Note 7 Pro using Tapatalk
    Have you ever run a blanchard? 3mm will take nothing, plus you can load up multiple parts at once.

    Blanchard Grinding at Kinetic - YouTube

  14. #12
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    India
    Posts
    215
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    128
    Likes (Received)
    18

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mike1974 View Post
    Have you ever run a blanchard? 3mm will take nothing, plus you can load up multiple parts at once.

    Blanchard Grinding at Kinetic - YouTube
    Yup. Ours is a mini version sort of Milling Extra Sacrificial Stock. Just 10HP motor.

    Sent from my Redmi Note 7 Pro using Tapatalk

  15. #13
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Pennsylvania
    Posts
    22,544
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Vishrut View Post
    Almost 3mm stock to be removed. Will take too long IMHO.

    Sent from my Redmi Note 7 Pro using Tapatalk
    Quote Originally Posted by Vishrut View Post
    Yup. Ours is a mini version sort of Milling Extra Sacrificial Stock. Just 10HP motor.

    Sent from my Redmi Note 7 Pro using Tapatalk
    No it won't.
    1. Your running the BG and the first OP at the same time.
    2. Your running multiple parts on the BG table at one time.
    3. The set-up time on the BG is almost nill, just squeegee off the table, load new parts.
    4. Those parts look like they will stick well to the magnet, put the load meter right up to "10".

  16. Likes Vishrut liked this post
  17. #14
    Join Date
    Sep 2018
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Michigan
    Posts
    168
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    32
    Likes (Received)
    85

    Default

    Are the holes just clearance for screws, Location fairly open?

    Why not..
    1:finish thickness and put in holes
    2:Bolt to scrap plate using screw holes and profile mill.

    It will probably be easier to keep them flat this way, and you can allow the entire profile to spring before you do a finish pass. If you really had to you could even leave a bit of stock on the holes and finish mill them to get thee size/position as true as possible.

  18. Likes Vishrut, Slugo liked this post
  19. #15
    Join Date
    Sep 2017
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Wisconsin
    Posts
    1,470
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    387
    Likes (Received)
    925

    Default

    That was my first thought as well but I couldn't come up with how to easily/quickly handle all the different parts with differing radii and hole patterns.

  20. #16
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Pennsylvania
    Posts
    22,544
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by TheBigLebowski View Post
    Are the holes just clearance for screws, Location fairly open?

    Why not..
    1:finish thickness and put in holes
    2:Bolt to scrap plate using screw holes and profile mill.

    It will probably be easier to keep them flat this way, and you can allow the entire profile to spring before you do a finish pass. If you really had to you could even leave a bit of stock on the holes and finish mill them to get thee size/position as true as possible.
    If you've got a "Plate full of holes" what is to keep the operator from loading the next part (In the middle of a run) from picking the wrong holes, and trashing the tool & part ?

  21. #17
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Michigan
    Posts
    6,145
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    5754
    Likes (Received)
    3928

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Vishrut View Post
    Almost 3mm stock to be removed. Will take too long IMHO.

    Sent from my Redmi Note 7 Pro using Tapatalk
    Nah, blanchard grinders remove that much stock all the time.
    Besides, it will be faster than milling them to thickness because you can toss a bunch of them onto the grinder at a time.
    I'd seriously look into that.

  22. #18
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Country
    SPAIN
    Posts
    5,360
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    1188
    Likes (Received)
    657

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Vishrut View Post
    Hi All,

    Need a little help.

    Attached is one of the strips which we are machining.

    OP1 includes Overall outer boundary machining, facing side one, drilling/boring these holes. So most work is done. Only remaining is removing extra material in OP 2. Highlighted in blue color.

    This is a job where sizes are many, individual qty is less to justify dedicated OP 2 fixture cost. All those go in a set.

    Again, making identical soft jaws won't be justifiable.
    Lengths vary from 4" and go all the way upto 10".

    Suggestions for OP 2 please ?
    strip.jpg
    Some times, whether you want to or not, a fixture is the only real way to do things.
    You could layout all parts overlaying eachother on the one fixture plate, and look to use miteebite (or okvise) type clamping.
    1x fixture for multiple variations (so the cost is amortised) shouldn't break the bank....

  23. Likes Tom Lg, doug925 liked this post
  24. #19
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Michigan
    Posts
    14,224
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    4844
    Likes (Received)
    5125

    Default

    One might drill the holes on the mill and with a special faceplate turn that radius on the lathe, might make it full round and so two parts made in one setup.

    Q: 132.66 mm?

  25. #20
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    India
    Posts
    215
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    128
    Likes (Received)
    18

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by michiganbuck View Post
    One might drill the holes on the mill and with a special faceplate turn that radius on the lathe, might make it full round and so two parts made in one setup.

    Q: 132.66 mm?
    132.66 mm is the outer radius of profile. Shown just to get an idea of the size.

    Sent from my Redmi Note 7 Pro using Tapatalk


Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •