What's new
What's new

Buying a used Fadal, well possibly. I have a few questions

drom68

Cast Iron
I am new to the cnc world, I currently have all manual machines, mills and lathes.

Fadal 2216, has work done:

"!996 Fadal VMC2216, Very good shape, Had over $7000.00 put into new parts last year, two drive motors, X axis ball screw and new screen. On 9-1-18 had another $8200.00 put into it with new inverter, Balder spindle moter and extras"

From pics, the machine is clean and looks well maintained. Spoke with the owner:
- 2yrs ago he replaced the motor and drives
- Vibration at spindle and replaced/fixed
- TIR .0005 at spindle bore
- Has RS232 port
- Mentioned he is able to interpolate holes with no issues.
- Had larger machines for the larger more robust work
- Has all the manuals and set up for moving the machine.

Where am I going wrong with this vmc, other than it not being a $150K machine. I do not get into production. Small runs, 40 pieces at most and not that often.

I need a dependable and reliable workhorse, not for production but more along the lines of a rigid VMC. Large pieces are one-off and generally put on manual mill.

0000709191.jpg

Just curious where are you at in Virginia? As for the machine I would be leery of why he is selling after sinking so much recent money in the machine. Is it possible he smells another huge repair bill coming?

Presumably the machine is 3ph; unless you have 3ph already, will need a RPC or equivalent.

If it is still under power, you could have owner go to Utilities menu and provide 'ON' and 'RUN' hours. Given all the work that has gone into the motors, drives, etc. the hours will only serve to give some indication of wear on the ways.

Does the machine have rigid tap? See if the seller will open up the controller pendant and send you a photo of the options sheet located in the door; will let you know immediately what optional equipment came with machine originally.

"plus loading" - how far is the machine traveling? According to Fadal manual machine is ~8,500lbs., so would be good to know what additional expenses are involved.

Agree with D. Nelson; if its clean and the 15K invested over last year was for quality parts and service, it has the potential to be a good deal.

Fred

I'm thinking along the lines with Dualkit. I have a 97 3016 and had to have the turcite redone. about 6k repair. And being the same vintage I can see that one coming.

If you have no experience with CNCs competent repair techs pretty much do not exist in this state, so it would be best to go with something that has the most common controller where you can get help right here easily and you can send items out for repair and expect good results. So in your case as someone who shares your state I would vote for something with a Fanuc.

Just curious where are you at in Virginia? As for the machine I would be leery of why he is selling after sinking so much recent money in the machine. Is it possible he smells another huge repair bill coming?

Selling because the business is closing. Owner is selling all equipment, owner has stated he has already sold the majority of equipment.

Presumably the machine is 3ph; unless you have 3ph already, will need a RPC or equivalent.

If it is still under power, you could have owner go to Utilities menu and provide 'ON' and 'RUN' hours. Given all the work that has gone into the motors, drives, etc. the hours will only serve to give some indication of wear on the ways.

Does the machine have rigid tap? See if the seller will open up the controller pendant and send you a photo of the options sheet located in the door; will let you know immediately what optional equipment came with machine originally.

"plus loading" - how far is the machine traveling? According to Fadal manual machine is ~8,500lbs., so would be good to know what additional expenses are involved.

Agree with D. Nelson; if its clean and the 15K invested over last year was for quality parts and service, it has the potential to be a good deal.

Fred

Already have a running shop, so yes on 3phase. I will request additional photo inside door of the control panel.

As for getting the machine, I would get the machine. I would have to pay for loading and expenses of the travel. Close enough I could go get it and it not cost too much time or more than LTL.

I'm thinking along the lines with Dualkit. I have a 97 3016 and had to have the turcite redone. about 6k repair. And being the same vintage I can see that one coming.

This is a big concern, wear. From what I understand the 2216 has box ways and any repair or "refurb" would be costly.

Fred

Why would someone dump $15k in a machine recently and be willing to sell for $10k?

Why would someone dump $15k in a machine recently and be willing to sell for $10k?

Retirement and selling all equipment. He is done and wants all of it gone. Most has sold already.

Additional, the machine has a chiller and they did tap regularly with it.

Back