What's new
What's new

Millpwr Servo reapir, price? Alternative?

Mebfab

Diamond
I have a 10yo Acurite Millpwr 2 axis control on a knee mill. Servo has become noisy and started to fault. Anyone sent in for service to acurite? Price to repair? Any otherplaces that you trust to do it?

Servo and drive one piece. The servo is a little noisy, sometimes more, sometimes less, also a little stiff. The control screen comes up with servo fault Y axis when homing. Turn off and restart and it works.

Have not checked brushes. I am a complete noob with these things.

OK. I'm betting it has DC brush servos. You can pull the carbon brushes out and check them. Replace them if worn.

There will be an encoder on the end of the motor. Other than that there's really nothing to it.

The "drive" is the servo amplifier. It would be in the control cabinet. DC servo drives have to be tuned. There should be a procedure to set the pot on the amplifier for minimal lag and overshoot. If the drive is bad, it can be repaired.

In my experience, the drive is far more fragile than the motor. The motor is a big lump of copper and iron. The drive is more like a computer board.

You probably have bad bearing or the tach needs to be cleaned. If you call and speak with Chris Hanson at Acu-Rite, he would probably tell you to clean the tach. If you send me an email at [email protected] I will send you the instructions for the tach repair that Acu-RIte sends out.

Jon
H&W Machine Repair

If you haven't found anyone to lend you a hand, we can! We fix all kinds of industrial equipment. Shoot me an email with some pictures of the unit and the part number. I'll see if I can get you a rough estimate. tyler@iesrepairs is my email.

I see we're in the same area (I work in Burlington). We use a guy named Richard Johnston. He's really good with the older stuff. You can give him a call and tell him what you're experiencing. His number is 336-817-4863.

Hello, I see this is an old thread but maybe someone can advise me. I have a brand new acu-rite millpwr controller, it is the first colour screen type with floppy disc drive for DXF files etc, probably from about 2002 era
I was wondering if I can use any dc servos and drives or would it have to motors and drives from acu-rite.

Back