mini mill harbor freight worth converting to cnc?
Close
Login to Your Account
Page 1 of 18 12311 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 357
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jul 2018
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    California
    Posts
    57
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    24
    Likes (Received)
    19

    Default mini mill harbor freight worth converting to cnc?

    Can someone give me input if its worth converting it into a belt driven cnc, meaning the stepper motors drive the lead screws with belts? What are possible drawbacks beyond the higher rpms the motors run art?

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Michigan
    Posts
    9,789
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    3312
    Likes (Received)
    3515

    Default

    Anything is possible..
    eBay - Page Not Found

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Virginia
    Posts
    25,654
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    7561
    Likes (Received)
    8079

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by crlalas View Post
    Can someone give me input if its worth converting it into a belt driven cnc, meaning the stepper motors drive the lead screws with belts? What are possible drawbacks beyond the higher rpms the motors run art?
    The machine-tool-shaped-object you opened with is itself not even an allowed topic of discussion here on PM.

    Hobbyists, other forums, several such, can better assist you in any case.

    They are the folks that actually HAVE these critters and do "stuff" to them and with them.

    Not a "status" thing. Just kayaks and containerships different.
    Last edited by thermite; 07-22-2018 at 02:39 PM.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Melbourne Australia
    Posts
    5,458
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by michiganbuck View Post
    Anything is possible..
    eBay - Page Not Found
    Dribbler, just because you can google it. That doesn't make it right.

    This is the "Largest Manufacturing Technology Community on the Web"

    "mini mill harbor freight worth converting to cnc?". Seriously???

    To the O.P. You need CNC Zone. Those blokes will sort you out with with an Arduino Control. Weed wacker powered CNC.

    When you get to Fanuc, Siemens, Okuma, Heidenhain, you'll have a place here.

    This was the bloke in his 7th post, had retrofitted a Bridgeport.

    Circles troubleshoot, 12 3 6 9 o'clock tool markings

    Apologies for sounding rude. But we don't do Harry Home Shop Here.

  5. Likes HWElecRepair liked this post
  6. #5
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Minnesota
    Posts
    77
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    5
    Likes (Received)
    46

    Default

    Bad idea. I have a grizzly mill in my model shop most for milling plastic and tapping parts. It has at least .070 backlash in XY and the Z axis clutch is wimpy. This has the rigidity of a wet noodle. Without the DRO package this machine would be basically useless.

    You will neither cut accurate nor good looking parts. You could save yourself a lot of headache and money by just buying a southwest prototrak.

  7. #6
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Beaverdam, Virginia
    Posts
    7,080
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    544
    Likes (Received)
    3240

    Default

    That thing is a toy and a poorly made one at that, I would not use it to mill hard butter.

  8. Likes HWElecRepair, Mtndew liked this post
  9. #7
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Hillsboro, New Hampshire
    Posts
    6,784
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    1611
    Likes (Received)
    4733

    Default

    Yes, I think you'll find that a CNC-ified HF Mini-Mill will bring you hours of joy. But the real big thing is converting CNC machines to manual use. I took a brand new Haas VF-11, stripped the motors off it, added handwheels to the axis (axii?), and have been having a wonderful time making aircraft wing spars by hand.

    Yes, there's a few drawbacks, such as having to endure showers of hot chips and coolant, and the occasional "runaway" when climb milling with a 1" endmill at .5" width and 3" DOC, but the upsides include my new massive biceps, my excellent hand-eye coordination (well, just one eye now), and being able to impress the ladies by circularly interpolating a radius to within a thousandth by hand.

    So forget the mini-mill, go maxi-mill instead!

  10. #8
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Milwaukee,WI
    Posts
    1,222
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    7123
    Likes (Received)
    961

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Milland View Post
    Yes, I think you'll find that a CNC-ified HF Mini-Mill will bring you hours of joy. But the real big thing is converting CNC machines to manual use. I took a brand new Haas VF-11, stripped the motors off it, added handwheels to the axis (axii?), and have been having a wonderful time making aircraft wing spars by hand.

    Yes, there's a few drawbacks, such as having the endure showers of hot chips and coolant, and the occasional "runaway" when climb milling with a 1" endmill at .5" width and 3" DOC, but the upsides include my new massive biceps, my excellent hand-eye coordination (well, just one eye now), and being able to impress the ladies by circularly interpolating a radius to within a thousandth by hand.

    So forget the mini-mill, go maxi-mill instead!
    This sounds neat. Could you post a picture?

  11. #9
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Utah
    Posts
    4,256
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    1152
    Likes (Received)
    2323

    Default

    You can also get one of these;



    They are awesome, I had one when I was a kid. There are plenty of things you can do with them.

    Milland, they are Axes--plural Axis. Just curious how you Interpolate a Circle with one hand wheel??

    R

  12. Likes Larry Dickman, Bobw, adama, TheOldCar liked this post
  13. #10
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Eastern Massachusetts, USA
    Posts
    3,687
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    4067
    Likes (Received)
    3889

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by crlalas View Post
    Can someone give me input if its worth converting it into a belt driven cnc, meaning the stepper motors drive the lead screws with belts? What are possible drawbacks beyond the higher rpms the motors run art?
    Humorous post of the day!

    Thanks crlalas, I needed a good laugh on this rainy Sunday.

  14. #11
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    marysville ohio
    Posts
    9,173
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    2613
    Likes (Received)
    6056

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by crlalas View Post
    Can someone give me input if its worth converting it into a belt driven cnc, meaning the stepper motors drive the lead screws with belts? What are possible drawbacks beyond the higher rpms the motors run art?
    That POS is not worth the effort required to load it in the truck to bring it home.

  15. Likes Oldwrench, JohnEvans, Mtndew, mister honey liked this post
  16. #12
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Hillsboro, New Hampshire
    Posts
    6,784
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    1611
    Likes (Received)
    4733

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by litlerob1 View Post

    Milland, they are Axes--plural Axis. Just curious how you Interpolate a Circle with one hand wheel??

    R
    I had old-school Erector Sets when I was a pup. No fancy-Dan curved elements for me, just straight stamped tin-plate, with 6-32 screws and nuts to hold everything together. Colored pulleys? Plastic feet? Balderdash and humbug!

    In fairness, I did start writing axes, but got confused with repetition and by the time I'd stopped I was up to axeseseseseses and said the heck with it.

    Oh, forgot the handwheel aspect. I did actually write "handwheels" in my original response, but it turns out that was pointless, as the distance from X to Y to Z was so great that it was simpler to just detach one handle from the ballscrew and move it to the next axis to be moved.

  17. Likes TheTalman1, TheOldCar liked this post
  18. #13
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Hillsboro, New Hampshire
    Posts
    6,784
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    1611
    Likes (Received)
    4733

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by converterking View Post
    This sounds neat. Could you post a picture?
    I tried, but my Civil War era camera was out of glass plates. As soon as I can get a fresh batch of silver nitrate made up I'll get on it.

  19. #14
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Milwaukee,WI
    Posts
    1,222
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    7123
    Likes (Received)
    961

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Milland View Post
    I had old-school Erector Sets when I was a pup. No fancy-Dan curved elements for me, just straight stamped tin-plate, with 6-32 screws and nuts to hold everything together. Colored pulleys? Plastic feet? Balderdash and humbug!

    In fairness, I did start writing axes, but got confused with repetition and by the time I'd stopped I was up to axeseseseseses and said the heck with it.
    I had the old school erector set and used to lock up the motor and watch it smoke.

  20. Likes dekamdylan liked this post
  21. #15
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Hillsboro, New Hampshire
    Posts
    6,784
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    1611
    Likes (Received)
    4733

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by converterking View Post
    I had the old school erector set and used to lock up the motor and watch it smoke.
    We couldn't afford smoke when I was young. I had to go outside and scavenge cigarette butts, wait for them to dry out (it was always raining back then), then hope for a moment's parting of the clouds for the sun to shine through. A correctly chosen fragment of broken bottle, a little patience for the focused sun's rays to light the butt, and Voilà, the closest I could get to Lucas guts.

  22. Likes adama, TheOldCar, dekamdylan liked this post
  23. #16
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Utah
    Posts
    4,256
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    1152
    Likes (Received)
    2323

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by crlalas View Post
    Can someone give me input if its worth converting it into a belt driven cnc, meaning the stepper motors drive the lead screws with belts? What are possible drawbacks beyond the higher rpms the motors run art?
    You could also add some of these, and call it a box way Machine;



    OR just use the boxes that the Machine came in, save some money. You are going to have to invest in Seafoam for something. You could use duct tape instead of actual hard rubber belts (in a pinch). You could take the drivers side window out of the broken down Station wagon sitting in the back yard and use it as door glass, or just take the whole door off and duct tape it to the front of the Machine, Open/Close, power windows woot!!! Zip ties!!! Don't forget zip ties, you are going to need a lot. And for the pro look get an empty can of Spagettio's, a small paint brush, and put some Molasses in there to give you just the right image of having a can of Moly-dee sitting around.

    Pretending is fun!!

    Robert

  24. Likes dekamdylan liked this post
  25. #17
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Se Ma USA
    Posts
    1,434
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    110
    Likes (Received)
    810

    Default

    Double stick tape and a calculator. Even this mod costs more than the original machine is worth.

  26. Likes Bobw, Oldwrench, adama liked this post
  27. #18
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Connecticut
    Posts
    1,887
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    1456
    Likes (Received)
    1971

    Default

    I understand the impulse to degrade people who ask questions such as the OP has.

    But imagine what his/her position might be. Might be a person who is attracted to machining, and enjoys making/building things. This might be a person who has little money, and is not in a position to buy/place a full size vertical in their garage.

    Most times, people excel in the very things they enjoy most. Reason is they give it their full attention and by default put every ounce of drive they have into it.

    I do realize this forum doesn't allow hobby machines, and i agree with that.

    But with the amount of "I can't find good help/employees" threads popping up. You guys ever think being total dickheads and discouraging people such as the Op contributes to this? We all know money isn't the main factor most of us got into manufacturing.

  28. #19
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Virginia
    Posts
    25,654
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    7561
    Likes (Received)
    8079

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Alloy Mcgraw View Post
    I understand the impulse to degrade people who ask questions such as the OP has.

    But imagine what his/her position might be. Might be a person who is attracted to machining, and enjoys making/building things. This might be a person who has little money, and is not in a position to buy/place a full size vertical in their garage.

    Most times, people excel in the very things they enjoy most. Reason is they give it their full attention and by default put every ounce of drive they have into it.

    I do realize this forum doesn't allow hobby machines, and i agree with that.

    But with the amount of "I can't find good help/employees" threads popping up. You guys ever think being total dickheads and discouraging people such as the Op contributes to this? We all know money isn't the main factor most of us got into manufacturing.
    Can NOT understand how you make the leap from pointing out the "tool" isn't a fit to what PM's community own and use and work to keep in running order, to considering that a criticism of a person or even his economic limits.

    Pointing him to hobby forums will actually get him HELP! Useful help. Appropriate help. FASTER help!

    That's where the machines ARE discussed. That's where those who have them do "clever stuff" to and with them. Hooking-up with the right resources is a "win" for his being able to make the best of what he HAS (or is about to acquire.. whichever..)

    Up to him what he learns next and what he does with that.

    For all I know he may be sitting left-front-most seat, my next ride on a Boeing, doing heart surgery.. or writing me a speeding ticket. Wasn't intent on pissing him off.

    The machine choice does not define who the man is.

    Everybody knows that only pickup-trucks can do THAT!

    Last edited by thermite; 07-23-2018 at 10:23 AM.

  29. Likes digger doug, HWElecRepair liked this post
  30. #20
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Connecticut
    Posts
    1,887
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    1456
    Likes (Received)
    1971

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by thermite View Post
    Can NOT understand how you make the leap from pointing out the "tool" isn't a fit to what PM's community own and use and work to keep in running order, to considering that a criticism of a person or even his economic limits.

    Pointing him to hobby forums will actually get him HELP! Useful help. Appropriate help. FASTER help!

    That's where the machines ARE discussed. That's where those who have them do "clever stuff" to and with them. Hooking-up with the right resources is a "win" for his being able to make the best of what he HAS (or is about to acquire.. whichever..)

    Up to him what he learns next and what he does with that.

    For all I know he may be sitting left-front-most seat, my next ride on a Boeing, doing heart surgery.. or writing me a speeding ticket. Wasn't intent on pissing him off.

    The machine choice does not define who the man is.

    Everybody know that only pickup-trucks can do THAT!

    With how clever and long winded you seem to be, you don't address the point I make.

    The tone on these type of posts is many times borderline insulting....For what reason? What goal does that achieve?

    With all the talking you do on this forum, much of which I believe goes right over the heads of most these guys....You missed my simple point?

  31. Likes ranchak, mc3608 liked this post

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •