What's new
What's new

Minimum space between machines

Jay Fleming

Hot Rolled
I'm setting up a shop at my new job and I'm trying to best arrange a cnc lathe and vmc. They are an ST-35 and a VF3. Space isn't at a premium but these are the only machines we have and I'm the only operator, so it would be worthwhile to make the area as efficient as possible. The lathe is in place and the mill will be delivered Thursday or Friday. I've currently laid them out face to face, especially since the chip auger and conveyor will be on the same end. What kind of space do you all allow between machines to be able to efficiently work between them? There's a chance of having long parts on the lathe and we'll have a jib crane to be able to load parts, so space to swing parts in and out.

I'm definitely overthinking this but just want some guidance. If you have pics, that would be great.

Thanks.

J

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Probably around 7-8' would be a good spacing if your going to be doing semi long/large stuff . I don't know if you'll bw using riser plates/angle plates or anything that needs to come in/out of the mill , you do want enough room for tools/toolboxes/pallets/carts ect... yet still move around without having to squeeze or constantly worry about something swinging into a control . For small parts you could go closer but then you'd have smaller machines .

I have about 7 or 8 feet between my mills so I can get the die cart in there to swap out heavy fixtures ... I have tried less and tried more and found that works best for me...

3' 4.502".....:nutter:

Try making a simple layout.
Search the archives, been discussed ad naseum.

don't forget enough space to get any coolant tanks out etc either. That said, running 2 machines like a lathe and mill you really want it so the chuck is not inline with were you will be standing at the mill, like this if something does come lose it reduces the chances of it hitting you significantly.

I would try to get a table (or two) in between the two machines, plus four feet between each machine and the table(s).

This, but I'd rather have the machines at 90° (or so) to each other. For 3 reasons - Allows more change without moving and re leveling the machines, you won't have your back to the other machine for safety and efficiency(and noticing alarms), and better access with a forklift or pallet jack. Will your cutoff saw be nearby?
T

I'm definitely overthinking this but just want some guidance.

Overthink it to your heart's content. The riggers will place the machines in the exact spot you want them.

However, in a month, you will realize your perfect machine layout sucks and needs to be adjusted. BTDT :willy_nilly:

:D

I had like 10' between two mills and a 28" by 72" table between them and it did not work out ,,, I spent all day walking around the table and have found the plastic rubbermade push carts work out way better .. I have 6 in the shop and there a hug time saver,,, I just push them from machine to machine and when the parts are done on the top shelf I put them on the bottom tell I need them. I try to keep the bottom shelf full in that it makes the carts more stable. Granger sells some under table drawers that you can bolt to the under side of the top shelf and store tooling ETC in .

Figure full travel then about elbows on hips apart, that is roughly 36 or so.

Travel can be set so one long travel misses the next machine.

I used to cut out templates of the machines, trucks, benches, people and set them around on chart=paper to set up a grinding room...

Incoming and out going stock,repair-riggers trucks considered also

Elbows apart is about right from bench to load... it allows a hand cart to enter when needed.,

Machines face to face with half a work bench?....I would have to lay that out on the chart paper.. adding door swings and such. Pump out/clean out/repair truck

"Work zone", ie, the space you need in front of machine to operate it (per machine)+ "broom width" (3 foot) between zones.

obviously depends on size of machines and size of parts being made. that and size of tooling which its rare but can break and travel quite a ways
many schools end up putting up heavy plastic polycarbonite shields between machines so stuff flying off one machine dont hit operator on a nearby machine. if part moves in vise or fixture often tooling will break and go flying. obviously not suppose to happen.
for example resharpened end mill with wide flutes of narrow land when load too much flute land will break off then tool will break apart. thats why i limit how many times a tool is resharpened. hard to describe

Thanks for all the replies, and apologies for my lack of response. The VF3 isn't on the floor yet but I marked out where it will go. I gave 10 ft between the lathe and mill. The chip conveyor and auger are pointing the same direction in the shop. This maximizes space between the machines and doesn't encroach on any other planned use space. In the future, we'll have a larger lathe on the floor and it will take the space of the mill and the mill will be moved 90 degrees off the first lathe. At least the electric and air connections will be easy in this configuration.

Thanks for all the replies, and apologies for my lack of response. The VF3 isn't on the floor yet but I marked out where it will go. I gave 10 ft between the lathe and mill. The chip conveyor and auger are pointing the same direction in the shop. This maximizes space between the machines and doesn't encroach on any other planned use space. In the future, we'll have a larger lathe on the floor and it will take the space of the mill and the mill will be moved 90 degrees off the first lathe. At least the electric and air connections will be easy in this configuration.

if any machine shares a foundation with others or machine is mounted on a common floor than if you put a pallet between machines thats heavy often floor will go down and machines will go out of level.
just be aware some machines alignment is effected by heavy stuff coming and going nearby. often bigger machines have a separate foundation. that is nothing else on the floor even if floor goes down will effect it. separate foundation often goes down many feet. many big machines are mounted on concrete thats like 3 foot thick
almost all machines on the 2nd story thus on concrete supported by structural steel have more leveling problems. i have seen where temperature and distance on the floor below structural steel columns caused the 2nd story floor to change level often like sometimes everyday (sunlight and or cold outside temp on uninsulated exterior columns and if other columns are in the building thus at room temperature you can get daily floor level changes easily over .020" to .030" and a difference from Summer to Winter thats is over many months

Back