What's new
What's new

Minimun amp service to run 30hp 3phase converter

sidetrack50

Aluminum
I'm setting up a 15hp Fadal 4020 and only have 220v 100amp service in my building. What's my options for getting it up and running? I've seen postings of running on single phase, is that an option? I'm only running maybe 8-10 different aluminum parts for my product I make. What's the minimum amp/voltage needed for 3 phase converter?

Get yourself a Phase Perfect 20 hp unit. Phase Perfects require much less juice per hp vs RPCs. Yes, they are more expensive than a RPC, but you need the efficiency if you only have 100 amps to use.

Also, PP do not need to be uprated 2x the hp like a typical RPC.

Still loving my 30 hp unit--it runs the entire shop flawlessly on a 200 amp service.

I run a 10hp Phase Perfect on a 70A single-phase breaker.

Since Philabuster runs a 30hp unit on 200A, I'd assume it's in the 65-70A per 10hp range.

PM

I ran a Fadal 15xt on a 15HP RPC in my first shop ,,, I had 100Amp main and had a 60 amp breaker on the RPC and I never blow the breaker.. Worked great for years.

The size of the panel doesn't matter squat. What matters is the size of the transformer and the wire feeding your panel.

Utility companies regularly undersize residential transformers.

My 30HP Mazak pulled 180 amps 240V single phase through a square D panel for most of the day today. 50HP RPC did fine.

The size of the panel doesn't matter squat. What matters is the size of the transformer and the wire feeding your panel.

Utility companies regularly undersize residential transformers.

My 30HP Mazak pulled 180 amps 240V single phase through a square D panel for most of the day today. 50HP RPC did fine.
Sweet Mother..I would hate to see your power bill :willy_nilly:

Yes a 20hp rotary would carry your machine fine. I have used many over the years.
Gary

you double the hp on a RPC so as the load increases the resultant pull down in leg voltage doesnt mess up the computers, servos etc.

I have TWO 20 hp phase perfects running in a 200 amp box, though they each have 125 amp breakers. Best money ever spent. I have 300 amps to the shop but 100 is split off to the original load box and then a 200 for all the machines I added.

15 HP (11.2 KW) will pull around 50A in 220V (single phase).

The multiplying factor for a Phase Perfect is 1.8, so you will fine with a 90A breaker.

Back