What's new
What's new

Mirror in Heidenhain

effillo

Plastic
I have a quick question regarding mirroring 3+2 and 5 axis NC programs on Heidenhain. We have only recently made the switch over to Heidenhain from Fanuc controls within the department, so nobody here is equipped to answer this question. We are running TNC 530.

At present we program the mirrored part offline when in reality it feels like should be able to be mirrored on the machine no problems. I come from a Siemens control background where the mirror command was simply added to the beginning of the program – X0C0 or Y0A0C0 – Heidenhain seems slightly different.

I cannot seem to find a definitive answer on what is required, a lot of people (inc a service chap from Heidenhain) are saying just program the mirrored part, but this will take time and because our parts are one offs it is a waste of time, even using the much improved mirrored projects in CAM software. I can not believe that this is not possible as a function, if I was running Siemens it would be a 10 second job to mirror.

I have a quick question regarding mirroring 3+2 and 5 axis NC programs on Heidenhain. We have only recently made the switch over to Heidenhain from Fanuc controls within the department, so nobody here is equipped to answer this question. We are running TNC 530.

At present we program the mirrored part offline when in reality it feels like should be able to be mirrored on the machine no problems. I come from a Siemens control background where the mirror command was simply added to the beginning of the program – X0C0 or Y0A0C0 – Heidenhain seems slightly different.

I cannot seem to find a definitive answer on what is required, a lot of people (inc a service chap from Heidenhain) are saying just program the mirrored part, but this will take time and because our parts are one offs it is a waste of time, even using the much improved mirrored projects in CAM software. I can not believe that this is not possible as a function, if I was running Siemens it would be a 10 second job to mirror.

Sorry for not answering the question directly (and piling on with the majority), but who mirrors a 5 axis part at the controller!? :eek: All of your climb cuts will become conventional, etc, etc... Potential collision issues. If your parts are simple enough for this to work effectively, it should only take a few minutes to mirror them in CAM.

Not sure how a 5 axis part would work, but mirror in mastercam is only a few clicks. It reverses the cuts (most, IIRC, sometimes an open chain would fail the reversal?) and keeps them all climb milling....

but as boosted said, would never trust it at the control unless you have Mazak level on control verification/simulation. Maybe the siemens had this, never ran one...

if it is anything like older controls (155 or 355), in conversational mode mirror function is under canned cycles

edit: by conversational mode I mean Heidenhain programming language

In answer to the questions, mirrored paths were bulletproof in Siemens, if the programmed path works then mirroring just means the X and C were positves become negatives or Likewise for Y,A and C, nothing to go wrong. With regards to cut directions etc, we are not metallic cutting it is model board / tooling block so not critical, if it was required then there is also the facility on Siemens to reverse the spindle direction. I find it amazing no one else out there would do this.

@LockNut might know the answer to this. He's a more experienced "5 axis" guy than I am and has run Heidy controls in the past.

I never had to use mirroring in the HH control. And, like others said, I never would when it is much easier to do in the CAM system. Too many things can go wrong, as stated. Drilled hole patterns? Yes. Simple 2D contours? Maybe. Any kind of roughing or dynamic tool paths? No.

Paul

The way it works is a canned cycle, which when called essentially is a mode, so you call it, define the axis' it applies to and then when you are done, call it again with no defined axis'

Since it is like a mode, be cautious of other coordinate transformations, as a datum shift is now negative.

Programming manually you get into habits where you label and call a sub program that is mirrored, so that at the end of the label you cancel the mirror.

Also stopping a program mid stream causes problems so you get in the habit of starting a program

CYCLE CALL DATUM SHIFT
Y 0
Z 0

CYCLE CALL MIRROR IMAGE

TOOL CALL 0 Z

if you are doing any coordinate transformations within the program

Back