What's new
What's new

Mist collector options

JMC

Cast Iron
I am just looking for different opinions on mist collector units for our mills. When cutting alum @ 18000 rpm the mist gets so dense you cannot see anything beyond 3 inches from the window. The stuff can't be too health to breathe....and collecting the coolant would be nice also.

The machine we want to try it out on first is a MAM 72-63V cell if that makes any difference.

Thanks in advance!!

I highly recommend the Royal Filter Mist unit.
They work totally Different from other mist collectors. Air is drawn into the bottom of the unit via flexible hose from machine or they can be direct mounted. In internal barrel with vanes rotates and creates a vortex. The inside of the barrel is layered with removable foam pads and the mist is collected in the pads and flung to the O.D. of the barrel. There it collects in a trough and is returned to the machine in liquid form through a drain tube.

Most companies in this market segment make money on the filter replacements.
The foam pads in the Royal unit can be easily removed and rinsed in a bucket of non-chlorinated cleaner such as Simple Green. When they do eventually need replacing the cost is minimal, about $30-$40.

And no, I don't sell the units. But I've installed quite a few of them and I know they work extremely well. Many happy users in my area.

http://www.royalprod.com/product.cfm?catid=1

I've got a robodrill with a 24,000 rpm spindle. The mist from that is thick enough to fog up the whole shop in a matter of minutes.
There is a LOSMA unit on it, it has NEVER recovered so much as a single gallon of coolant in it's entire life. EVER.

The rotation is correct, it had new filters and pads installed. It is as clean inside as the day it was built.

The only answer I've ever gotten was " I don't know"

I've got a robodrill with a 24,000 rpm spindle. The mist from that is thick enough to fog up the whole shop in a matter of minutes.
There is a LOSMA unit on it, it has NEVER recovered so much as a single gallon of coolant in it's entire life. EVER.

The rotation is correct, it had new filters and pads installed. It is as clean inside as the day it was built.

The only answer I've ever gotten was " I don't know"

Is the machine sealed up tight?

If you have no place for make up air to enter you won't get flow into the filter.

The Royal units work pretty good. You can actually see the mist flying off of the tool towards the ducting while you're cutting. I was bent out of shape with one of mine awhile back, because it didn't seem like it was collecting anything, then I realized the screen separating the duct from the machine was PACKED SOLID with chips.

The shop will still be humid, but it will be humid with water mist, instead of oil mist.

I also picked up two HUGE TFP Eliminators at an auction awhile back for $350/each (they were like 8K new), and they work great. A lot of work to install though because of the size.

Another vote for Royal. A customer asked me to install and wire one. It's a nice unit. One thing that hasn't been mentioned is very important, I believe. The axis of rotation is vertical. Some units have their drum mounted horizontally. When switched off, the gunk drools down to the low spot. Next time it's turned on, it's WAY out of balance and does some serious shaking for a while.

I am an Applications Engineer for AER Control Systems, formerly Aercology. We manufacture several different types of mist collectors depending on the specifics of what you are filtering. What coolant pressure are you running? Are you seeing any mist blowing through your existing mist collector? If your machine enclosure has openings and the mist is escaping then that is an airflow problem. If atomized mist is blowing through your existing mist collector then that is a mist collector efficiency issue. Does your mist appear to be like a fog then your mist droplets are very fine? You may need a high efficiency mist collector. Let me know the answers and I can quote you on the correct mist collector for your application?

Rob Gabelmann
AER Control Systems
866-265-2372
www.aercontrolsystems.com
[email protected]

>> If atomized mist is blowing through your existing mist collector then that is a mist collector efficiency issue. Does your mist appear to be like a fog then your mist droplets are very fine? You may need a high efficiency mist collector. Let me know the answers and I can quote you on the correct mist collector for your application?

When I was using MistBuster brand mist collectors, and app engineer for Air Quality Engineering Co. told me that if the unit is expelling mist and it's clean (or new, as was the case when I was an application engineer for a machine tool importer/distributor), that's an indication that the motor speed for the blower was simply set too high.

Dial it back until the unit no longer soils a sheet of white paper held over the exhaust, and it's set correctly. Too high and your wasting both coolant and electricity.

http://www.mistbuster.com/mistbuster_home.htm

These are also pretty darn good collectors, IMO.

What are the thoughts on outfitting a couple machines. Is it better to use 2 smaller units or one larger central unit?
I have a lathe and mill that sit right next to one another and both need mist collection. In this case both machines are smaller and well closed in.

What is the consensus on this?

The MistBuster does look like a nice unit.

When I was using MistBuster brand mist collectors, and app engineer for Air Quality Engineering Co. told me that if the unit is expelling mist and it's clean (or new, as was the case when I was an application engineer for a machine tool importer/distributor), that's an indication that the motor speed for the blower was simply set too high.

Dial it back until the unit no longer soils a sheet of white paper held over the exhaust, and it's set correctly. Too high and your wasting both coolant and electricity.

http://www.mistbuster.com/mistbuster_home.htm

These are also pretty darn good collectors, IMO.

How do you adjust the blower? VFD?

What are the thoughts on outfitting a couple machines. Is it better to use 2 smaller units or one larger central unit?
I have a lathe and mill that sit right next to one another and both need mist collection. In this case both machines are smaller and well closed in.

What is the consensus on this?

The MistBuster does look like a nice unit.

You can use a splitter with the filter mist. But the interior volume of the machines in question need to be within 10-15% of each other. Multiply the interior width by depth by height to get the total cubic inches. Then multiply that times five. Look at the five Royal models available and pick the one that has the CFM capacity closest to your interior cubes times the five. Why five? You want the air turned five times per minute inside the machine.

Heck, I've just about got myself talked into ordering one. Where's a good salesperson when ya need 'em...

I bought these two units off Ebay. I however had a smoke problem so had to add the large white filters to remove the last traces....worked perfectly. Very easy to install.
Carl
This one is on a HAAS SL-20.
DSCN0017.jpg

This one is on a HAAS SL-30.
DSCN0019.jpg

Back