Mist collector question.
Close
Login to Your Account
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Mist collector question.

Going to get two mist collectors for Okuma genos L-250. Looking at mistaway MA-700. Anyone that has one of these let me know how you like it. But my question is reason we are getting them is lately the light has been just right to see all the mist coming out of the machine , out the back around the chip conveyor. It's a lot and explains a lot. Surprised I never took it more serious before. But with the collector mounted on top of the machine do you have to "plug up holes. Like around the chip conveyor or will the collector catch it and stop the venting out the back. And anyone with a recommendation for a small lathe especially the genos L-250 please chime in. Should add we turn copper and steel using coolant. Lot of close work to the three jaw chuck which really beats the coolant.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Washington
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by PDETRO View Post
    Going to get two mist collectors for Okuma genos L-250. Looking at mistaway MA-700. Anyone that has one of these let me know how you like it. But my question is reason we are getting them is lately the light has been just right to see all the mist coming out of the machine , out the back around the chip conveyor. It's a lot and explains a lot. Surprised I never took it more serious before. But with the collector mounted on top of the machine do you have to "plug up holes. Like around the chip conveyor or will the collector catch it and stop the venting out the back. And anyone with a recommendation for a small lathe especially the genos L-250 please chime in. Should add we turn copper and steel using coolant. Lot of close work to the three jaw chuck which really beats the coolant.
    I don't have a lathe - but I have an Okuma Genos M560 VMC. I can tell you that if you size the mist collector correctly, the openings in the machine (e.g. coolant troughs, gaps in doors / panels, etc.) won't matter. The mist collector should have enough air flow to create slight negative pressure in the machine cavity. There's lots of small gaps around the door of my machine and the tool changer is open on top - mist always gets sucked into the mist collector. I'm using Royal Filtermist...

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Royal Filtermist here as well on 8 machines. They have been great.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

You won't be sorry getting a Mistaway especially for the money, love it. Their control unit is pretty sweet also, you hook a current detector around a wire for the coolant pump and it turns the Mistaway on. I would call the company but almost positive the small one will be fine for your lathe.

We have the MA-700 on a half enclosed prototrak toolroom lathe and it does a great job keeping the mist from escaping. Ordering one for our new turning center when it arrives in December. Salesman wanted to sell us a $4000 Mistblaster unit, no thanks.

I really don't think you'd have to plug holes, you don't want it sealed up to tight or the mist collector wont be able to pull the mist out. Only downside I've noticed is if it sits unused for a few weeks, when you start it up it smells musty but goes away quick.

5. Likes Cycle1000 liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Florida
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I have 3 of the 700's LOVE them. So quiet compared the centrifugal units, with no vibration.
    One is on a Haas ST10 and the factory hole is way smaller than the bottom of the unit but still sucks it dry right away.
    No need to plug any holes just run a 120 cord from the wall and enjoy clean air.
    Gary

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    New Jersey
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Like others have said, no need to plug holes. The unit needs to pull air through those gaps to clear put the machine enclosure. I have the 700 on top of my Hurco VM10 in a small shop. I would recommend the optional Hepa filter that goes on top, it gets rid of any odor and if you do any dry cutting with smoke in the cabinet it eliminates that as well. I also got the automatic relay to turn on the unit- it’s has a little current sensor that clips around your coolant pump power cord. With that you don’t need to splice wires, use MCodes or any other complicated integration.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Thanks for the replies. Helps a lot.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

These here were recommended to me recently and they look like a pretty awesome solid unit for serious use. They're a bit more $ than a mistaway though and I think only their ARO-400 is avaiable with a 120v plug and Mist-fit models, others are 3ph, real commercial unit stuff.
    Products - Aeroex
    Aeroex Mist Eliminator Collection - YouTube

Now what I did for my lathe since I couldn't justify the $ for my use yet, was that since I already have 2 Heat recovery ventilators in the shop, I piped one 6" duct to the top of the machine where it has a 6" hole. It's working pretty good. But if you're doing a lot of roughing all day long then a real unit like that aeroex or other would be better I think.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

The lathe has a 6 in hole. With the mistaway , do you think the 6 in hole will work fine on a smaller lathe like this ? And do you think the variable speed control is necessary?

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Florida
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

6 inch hole is what mine has, have no experience with the variable speed control..cant see why you would need it.
    Gary