What's new
What's new

Mist Collector Recommendation?

athack

Stainless
Hello,

I want to add a mist collector to our new Haas ST20. Anybody have a brand that they like? Please advise.

Thanks

Athack

We have a Mistblaster unit on a Swiss machine running at 10k 24-7. That machine is an order of magnitude cleaner than the machine next to it that runs under the same conditions without a collector. However, both machines are running neat oil so I can't speak ton the efficacy with water-soluble.

We bought a mistaway from all i read the are safe while the royalmist can caught fire if not maintain properly and we all know we never got time for maintenance if it work.

Envoyé de mon SM-G920W8 en utilisant Tapatalk

If you buy a royal buy the 575 over the 300, or the 1200 over the 900. The 575 and 300 have 3/4hp motors, and the 1200 and 900 have 3hp motors. Your using the same hp just getting less airflow with the smaller units. I have two 300's, two 575's, and one 1200. They all work good but in hindsight I should have bought 575's instead of the 300's.

The 1200 is pretty noisey. I put an afterfilter on it just to quiet it down. The smaller units aren't bad, but we still put the afterfilters on them.

Royals Filtermist units sound like a jet engine comparing to MistBuster for a small lathe or mill their MB500 unit is great. Larger one MB850 is great for machines making a lot of mist and smoke or you could connect 2 machines to 1 unit. It is so quiet sometimes I forget to turn it off when I leave work.

Last edited:
We use an older Royal FilterMist on our ST20 lathe.

It's very good at removing the coolant mist from the machine, especially when using the 3 jaw. In most cases, it is completely clear inside by the time the spindle stops and you open the door.

The downside to it................it's NOISY.........very noisy! It also does resonant throughout the machine and can be felt just placing your hand anywhere on the sheet metal, or even holding the door for that matter.

The second, and perhaps biggest problem with it is smoke.........it does NOT filter out smoke. As much as we clean off all the oils from our carbon, stainless, and alloy steels before machining in the lathe, there is still a considerable amount of smoke the filtermist does not prevent.

It is my understanding that the newer models do have an "after filter" that is just for that purpose though, so it is something I would strongly consider should you be working with anything other than aluminums, and plastics.

The whole kit, filtermist, electrical kit with starter, and after filter will set you back about $3,500.00 so choose wisely!

Later,
Russ

20160708_134954_zpshq4nbkhv.jpg

Don't buy a 3NINE unit. We have several, one of which decided to chuck a part THRU the top of the unit last week. Pieces flew about 20' down the aisle. They were just in to "retrofit" new parts couple of months ago to fix some sort of flaw.

I have a royal and got tired of the noise ,, picked up two mistaway units and the one on the vf2 works great well the one on the vf4 is a little small for that size machine ,,, but there built good and work good and best of all there not NOISY .... I had a royal 900 on the vf2 and it drove ya nuts changing parts with the thing right on top next to your head ...

And they work well? Low/med/high production environment?
Yes I love them. I had Royals for more than 10 years, and just got used to the jet engine noise and vibration.
I bought 1 of the Mistaways to try. Haas mill running a 4 inch facemill at 5000. Those parts run all day for about 2 weeks before changing out. That facemill just vaporizes the coolant as you know.
Sucks the cabinet out immediately. With no noise and zero vibration. The 120v plug is icing on the cake. Ran if for a month and bought two more to replace 2 Royals. Sold the Royals on fleabay for almost a zero cash outlay.:D
Gary

I would stay away from a centrifugal type for cast iron, very fine particulate will cause the spinning portion to go out of balance and vibrate. On water soluble the jell from the coolant has a tendency to cause these units to vibrate and go out of balance, the water evaporates and your left with a jell like substance. A better option is a media type Mist Collector such as a VMW-10 series from AER Control Systems, check out the website Home - AER Control Systems & Filtration or call 866-265-2372

Thanks to all who replied. Ended up getting the Royal FX575. It works great regarding romoving mist. I guess it may be a little load but I can't even tell if it's on with all the other shop noise. I guess some of you all have some pretty quite shops. We have a centrel blower system for removing dust smoke and all that that covers the noise of the Royal unit.

Thanks Again.

Athack

Back