What's new
What's new

Mist collectors

Djstorm100

Cast Iron
I'm looking at one for my Haas vf2ssyt. Curious what you guys run and how it has been holding up. I would prefer to get one that does not have a lot parts that have to be replace during service and that send the capture coolant back to the machine (to be washed back to tank or directly to tank)

I use a MistAway MA700 for my small VMC and have been very pleased with it. Definitely makes a huge improvement than without it. These only have a single fan and a series of baffles/filters. Been using it for about a year now without any issues.

There is a gauge on the unit which measures the pressure drop across the filters and essentially lets you know when to change the filters. I'm still using the ones it came with and no signs of clogging yet.... And the price is much nicer than the other popular styles (i.e. FilterMist)

I haven't tried any other brand, fyi...

I just bought a MistAway 400 size unit (for a Speedio, which is about the same interior volume as a VF2). I haven't installed mine yet, but I work on plenty of machines with the same unit and it works amazingly well.

They just had a sale on these for a mere $1200- money well spent.

I have 2 of these at the top of the enclosure on my VTC 300. Makes all the difference in the world. And they are cheap, filters cheap. The difference between waking up with a congested cough in the morning and not. I only run when using coolant. 15+ years so far

I have 4 of the mistaway 700 models in the shop and there GREAT,,, on the VF2ss mills they more than keep up ,, on the bigger VF4ss mill it could have used the 1200 model but the 700 works for all but a face mill going like hell on alum.. I just pull all the filters and line it up with the stock hole in the top and mark the holes with a sharpy ,,, you only need to drill for four 1/4" mounting holes and the stock gasket seals it up good ,,

they say there upper filter cant be washed and must be replaced ,, but I spray it down with de-greaser and wash it with warm water ,, air dry it for a day and put it back in ,, the trick is don`t run it tell its fully gunked up with crap ,, I do them about every 4 to 6 months ,, Well your cleaning the top paper filer also clean all of them,

Another vote for the Mistaway units. I have them on my minimill and my brother. Very happy with them so far. Used for over a year and not had a single issue.

+1 on mistaway. I have the 700 + their Hepa filter on top on my Hurco VM10. Works awesome, hardest part was cutting a big hole on top of the machine. I highly recommend their controller as well- instead of dealing with having to integrate something into the controller on your machine the controller has a clip on current sensor that you attach to your coolant pump. When your coolant comes on, the mistaway unit comes on. When the coolant pump turns off, there is an adjustable delay before the mistaway turns off, making sure all of the mist is extracted.

Anyone use the MistBusters? I tried to get a quote on their website...it was about $4,000 IIRC. Looks to be just about the same thing.

The plant that I retired from had dozens it not hundreds of Mistkops on grinders and other machining equipment. I think they use centrifugal force to spin most of the liquid out and it drips through a hose back into the machine.

Royal filtermist units have always worked great for me, require basically no maintenance, hose runs into coolant tank for reclaim. I don't recommend Haas's unit, they're cheap and piggyback into the spindle fan for easy install but they are an utter POS. They filter very little, pretty much pumps the mist in your machine into your shop, even worse with TSC

Back