Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Florida
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

If you are considering going to jaws you can also use Versa-grips.

VersaGrip™ | Mitee-Bite Products LLC.

You could make some 7" long soft jaws, mill the appropriate pockets for the versa-grips and get 3 parts per vise.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by dandrummerman21 View Post
    I'm also in the vise camp with this one. Besides, if you mill sets of round jaws, you can technically use them on another job if you get another that requires that size diameter stock. We've got a huge assortment of round jaws from over the years.

You have 2 vises? I assume they are single vises (like a regular Kurt)?

If you want "higher density" with jaws, get a couple double station vises and have 4 sets of jaws, each with 2 pockets milled in them. Bam, 8 pieces on the table (4 1st op and 4 2nd op if you prefer)
    Yup, just a pair of Kurt singles for now.

I ordered up some soft jaws from Monster last night so I'll be doing 4 per button push. After I get paid for this job I'll put another vise on the table.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Illinois
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

8.5 X 8.0 X 1.5 aluminum or steel plate will hold 16 parts in a vise.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails mitee-bite.jpg  

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Washington
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Mike1974 View Post
    If you are considering going to jaws you can also use Versa-grips.

VersaGrip™ | Mitee-Bite Products LLC.

You could make some 7" long soft jaws, mill the appropriate pockets for the versa-grips and get 3 parts per vise.
    Yes, this. I think you could hold 3 of your pucks in a pair of standard 8" Versa Grip jaws, since they have 9 pockets across 8".

Gotta be a little careful gripping 3 steel blanks at a time though, as any variation in stock diameter or misalignment of the grippers can compromise the hold on one of the 3 parts, as the dents in steel are only a few thousandths deep.

Regards.

Mike

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Washington
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Shawnrs View Post
    8.5 X 8.0 X 1.5 aluminum or steel plate will hold 16 parts in a vise.
    That fixture will bow pretty badly, in real life it would need to be around 2" plate to at least minimize the bowing, if aluminum. That is one of the problems with wedge clamps. It would also be very beneficial to leave the fixture stock between the clamps to give it more strength, but then you have bad chip traps.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by DavidScott View Post
    That fixture will bow pretty badly, in real life it would need to be around 2" plate to at least minimize the bowing, if aluminum. That is one of the problems with wedge clamps. It would also be very beneficial to leave the fixture stock between the clamps to give it more strength, but then you have bad chip traps.
    You think it'd bow if it was held in a vise?

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Illinois
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by DavidScott View Post
    For 200 pcs this would work fine, it is not a permanent solution but an easy fixture to make on a minimum cost. Steel would work much better but a lot depends also on how much you machine off the stock or how aggressive you machine it. Another solution would be to only put one row of parts.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Cole2534 View Post
    You think it'd bow if it was held in a vise?
    I do. If it was aluminum.

It would not be a problem if you could bolt it down to the table with cap screws in the center.

But you would probably want to space the center rows further apart if you intend to walk around the parts with an endmill.

Those machinable wedge clamps are about 20 bucks a piece. Seems overkill. I don't know what you paid for soft jaws, but a set of soft jaws should be cheaper, and you can do a lot more with em (like mill them over, and over, and over. Or put several shapes/features in them to use them for different things, diameters, etc). For quantity, this is still vise work.

9. Likes Mike1974 liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Florida
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Is this a single op part (sorry if I missed that)? If not, I would HIGHLY recommend doing 1st op in one vise and 2nd op in vise 2 and skip the fixturing all together. Nothing worse than handling parts multiple times.

Load blanks in vise 1, flip those parts into vise 2, and unload 2-3-4 finished parts every time.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by dandrummerman21 View Post
    I do. If it was aluminum.

It would not be a problem if you could bolt it down to the table with cap screws in the center.

But you would probably want to space the center rows further apart if you intend to walk around the parts with an endmill.

Those machinable wedge clamps are about 20 bucks a piece. Seems overkill. I don't know what you paid for soft jaws, but a set of soft jaws should be cheaper, and you can do a lot more with em (like mill them over, and over, and over. Or put several shapes/features in them to use them for different things, diameters, etc). For quantity, this is still vise work.
    Yup, those clamps are pretty dang expensive. But like I said, some of this is academic for me. I have a very small shop as a side gig and my current focus is on building stable processes rather than steady income or shooting for optimal profit margins. Long term vision being that with sufficient process stability I can have the machine run lights out and execute tasks while I'm still at my career. It's a Fadal 4020 so lighting speed ain't it's forte, but steady hands-off production has a speed of its own.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike1974 View Post
    Is this a single op part (sorry if I missed that)? If not, I would HIGHLY recommend doing 1st op in one vise and 2nd op in vise 2 and skip the fixturing all together. Nothing worse than handling parts multiple times.

Load blanks in vise 1, flip those parts into vise 2, and unload 2-3-4 finished parts every time.
    Part takes 2 ops so that's the plan, 2 parts per vise. Jaws were $15/pr and can be flipped and re-cut.

Maybe this will push me over the edge into buying another vise.

12. Likes Mike1974 liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Washington
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

All of a sudden more parts per tool change starts looking a lot better. Yes, that fixture will bow, clamping in a vise won't make a difference. Keep in mind the only way I run fixtures is to swap them out so I can be swapping parts in the fixture while the spindle is spinning, no way would I ever swap parts in a fixture while it's in the machine. I absolutely love the Uniforce clamp design, to the point I make my own with several modifications. Those machinable versions in that size are well north of $20, hell the 1/2" wide standard ones are $8 a pop in 8 packs. Not what I would consider cheap for 200 parts, but then I am a home shop. I still think my suggestion in post #12 is what I would do. The clamps are all the same so make extras. You only have to design, program and make 2 separate parts, the clamps, and the fixture bodies. Since the sides push the parts to the center there are no bending loads on the fixture body. The only thing you have to worry about is bending the clamps if you tighten the bolts too much.