What's new
What's new

Modifying DMG Mori ladder

Panza

Stainless
You will have to excuse my ignorance here, as I have not done anything like this before.

On my new DMG mori NLX lathe the chuck pedals makes the chuck go to the end of the stroke with one small push. This is both for clamp and unclamp. On the unclamp stroke I want it to stop when I let go of the pedal. The Mitsubishi tech said I need to modify the ladder. So the question is: How do I modify the ladder and what do I modify ?

You will have to excuse my ignorance here, as I have not done anything like this before.

On my new DMG mori NLX lathe the chuck pedals makes the chuck go to the end of the stroke with one small push. This is both for clamp and unclamp. On the unclamp stroke I want it to stop when I let go of the pedal. The Mitsubishi tech said I need to modify the ladder. So the question is: How do I modify the ladder and what do I modify ?

If not already equipped with a closed center valve, you will have to change the hydraulic valve also. It would be advisable to employ the services of an Electrical Engineer with experience in PLC programming to make your changes IF Mori/DMG will give you password to the PLC. If not, you need to request this change through Mori/DMG.

Older Mori Seiki machines with Mitsubishi based controls did not have a password protected the ladder.

I have not worked on any Mori with the CELOS/MAPPS controls. Do you know how to get behind the Mori front end of the control and use the Mitsubishi interface? If so then look for a softkey labeled Fo. That button is how you access the ladder menus on older Mitsu based controls.

If you find you can access the ladder then the very first thing you want to do is create a backup copy. Then figure out how to reload the original from your backup. Figuring out how to edit or add logic can be pretty daunting unless you have lots of PLC programming experience. There may be some info available online that would help with the actual process to examine or modify rungs and then save the changes.

If you do not have a solid grasp of this job then taking Tonytn36's advice would be your best approach by far.

You may be better served by simply changing the required 3 position / dual coil valve (center block) and maybe add your own PLC to opperate it?

You would want one input from the CNC to check for AUTO mode, and not allow any movement when in this mode.

???

But, maybe you can git Mori to change it for you>
If you CAN, please let us know!

-------------------------

Think Snow Eh!
Ox

Thanks for the ideas and feedback everyone. I thought it was a less complex process to change it so I won't attempt it myself.
I will try to get Mori to change it first. If that is not working I know some other people who might.

Back