What's new
What's new

Modular short vises

Delw

Stainless
Looking to tool up a 4th axis rotary with some short in height around 2" or under modular vises.
The kurt serralock and versalock look pretty good. anyone using them how to they repeat? what about Jaw lift. jaws will be cut for the parts.

our parts are usually long and narrow and vari in widths from 1/2" to 3". most stock is ground to size and under 1" tall. we hold on anything from .050 thickness to .200

I am looking to mount them on 5.5" x 5.5" x 20" cubes length running the x axis supported via a A-frame I am thinking about 3-4 per per side on 2 sides(0º and 360º) and running the other 2 sides(90º and 270º) of the cube with 2 to 3 running the opposite way for machining end features.
I had made a few cubes way back when and only used one for a long running job I have like 4 or 5 more of them and got to thinking of mounting one with a few modular vise's. I also have a trunion to hold our 6" kurt double vise but most of the time we just use vises on the table cause running that on the 4th is a bunch of wasted space due to the length for 2-4 parts per operation

I like the fact that the movable and fixed Jaws are movable for different widths.
its there any other short modular vises like this?
I never used hydraulic vises do the repeat good also? as kurt has them in this style as well. can you get a very light grip on them so not to bend thin parts?

anyone got other ideas? we do use mitee bit clamps, but looking for a Vise/ Jaw system that I can move around with out re drilling and tapping holes for different sizes. parts are mostly alum and again mostly ground stock on 6 sides finished to outside dims. and I can always put on the other cubes for the mitee bite stuff.

Thanks

I have been watching for something similar. I have some parts that I make in strips and they get flipped long ways for successive operations. I would really like to see a stubby 6" vise. I wonder if I could just saw an orange vise body in two.

deltaiv_01.jpg

4" x 5.88" footprint, 1.9375" bed height.

Jaws swap out easily and machinable versions are cheap, e.g. under $30/pair for 4" x 2" x 1.625" LxWxH in aluminum. 6" jaws will be available.

Any interest?

I have been watching for something similar. I have some parts that I make in strips and they get flipped long ways for successive operations. I would really like to see a stubby 6" vise. I wonder if I could just saw an orange vise body in two.

I had even thought of just using parts or different vises and machineing the cube for a bed. but erics post below sounds promising

deltaiv_01.jpg

4" x 5.88" footprint, 1.9375" bed height.

Jaws swap out easily and machinable versions are cheap, e.g. under $30/pair for 4" x 2" x 1.625" LxWxH in aluminum. 6" jaws will be available.

Any interest?
highly Pm sent

Ditto. Not real interested in the quick lock though. Is there another way to hold it down? Side grooves like the big vises would be fine in my application.

I've been using Lang Makro Grip, and they're pretty good. For on my trunnion I didn't have the room to use a modular tombstone with vices on it, so I made my own tombstone with vices built in.

Ditto. Not real interested in the quick lock though. Is there another way to hold it down? Side grooves like the big vises would be fine in my application.

We can add counterbores for direct bolt-down by request.

The standard interface will be a combo: ball coupler or 52mm "universal" pattern.

We can add counterbores for direct bolt-down by request.

The standard interface will be a combo: ball coupler or 52mm "universal" pattern.

Depending on price I would be interested. I love the vise I got from you, but it is over kill for many of the parts I make. Would be awesome to add these as I go. I have a job coming up that over the course of the job would be fantastic to add stations.

Back