What's new
What's new

Money for recycling Ti 6al4v chips and turnings

cgrim3

Cast Iron
Hi all,

I was wondering if any of you guys see good prices for your 6al4v chips and turnings at the scrap yard? Scrap yards around us (Maryland) won't even take the stuff (if they do they pay you hardly anything) because of how flammable the chips are. Some of the scrap yards consider the ti chips/turnings more of a liability than anything else.

Do you guys have the same problem? Do you have trouble getting rid of you titanium 6al4v chips?

Thanks,

Chris

I suppose you need to look at who makes bar etc , the Material in the USA and see if they will take it.
Others near you may not have a place to take it to near them and need to ship it out so maybe more of a bother to them.

The other option is if you do a lot of this product turning, just get someone to melt it back to bar ( if your using bar ) and pay them to do that.
Then your not paying full material cost only processing it to what you need.
It may also work for the foundry as they don't have to seek out a customer to sell to.

Titanium is not a rare element, but it's very expensive to produce. It's not surprising that the chips aren't worth much, if anything.

This is in stark contrast to tungsten carbide, rare but cheaper to produce, thus its high scrap value.

The other option is if you do a lot of this product turning, just get someone to melt it back to bar

Titanium ingots must be cast in vacuum.

A number of standard(ish) materials like 4340 and 13-8 stainless are available with high-purity VAR (vacuum arc remelted) treatment for aerospace applications ($$$). I don't believe you can even get Ti-6Al-4V that hasn't been VAR treated at least once.

VAR machines are huge. Quite tall and part of them go underground. Energy usage is somewhere along the lines of 4000 amps @ 480v continuous for hours on end. Machines are available larger and smaller, but this would be typical.

In 1989, a DC-10 crashed due to a structural failure of a titanium compressor disc in the tail engine. It exploded and took out all the hydraulics in the plane. The material was double-VAR treated, and subsequent to the investigation, titanium engine discs are now made from triple-VAR material (the entire multi-ton ingot goes through the machine three times, each time it's completely melted and reformed into a new ingot, drop by drop). Kind of goes to show how finicky this material is compared to your more common alloys.

Going from ingot to bar is also not a simple process. I had the opportunity to tour a forging plant a few years ago, where they mentioned that ring-rolling titanium was particularly tricky because it would generate surface cracks mid-process. Each time that happened, they'd have to let the part cool completely, machine off the cracks, heat it all the way back up, and then continue forging. These rings were 8+ feet in diameter, so we're talking a huge energy expense in all the heating.

Hi all,
Scrap yards around us (Maryland) won't even take the stuff (if they do they pay you hardly anything) because of how flammable the chips are. Some of the scrap yards consider the ti chips/turnings more of a liability than anything else.

are Ti chips "flammable" ? I can see powder, but turnings?

I really think its an issue with contamination that is possible/likely with chips and turnings. even a small amount of other metals (iron?) in there could ruin a melt, so briquettes won't help, might hurt.

orange has got it right.

Cyanidekid,

Yeah titanium chips are pretty flammable. I've had them light right up in front of me. They burn a bright white color. Yeah we don't machine that much. Maybe 50Lbs every two months.

Back