What's new
What's new

Monocrystalline (MCD) vs. Polycrystalline (PCD) Diamond vs. Tungsten Carbide (TC)

Cosmic_Diamonds

Plastic
Hello,

Let's assume we are in a hypothetical world where price is not a factor. Okay, now why would you choose MCD, PCD, or TC inserts?

Now with price in the mix, at what point does MCD become better than PCD or TC?

Gee, a guy whose username is "Cosmic_Diamonds", whose "about me page" lists his interests as "Diamond Cutting Tools" and is in Illinois...

Definitely couldn't be working for Cosmic Diamonds, LLC in 60185, could he?

If you want to sell tools here, post an introduction, tell us what you offer, buy some advertising space to support the forum...

Don't treat us like we're idiots who won't notice a salesman snuck in here and asked an "innocuous" but leading question...

I prefer "TC" (as I call it) to cut highly abrasive plastics and aluminum. I like to use the very affordable and common MCD to cut high carbon ferrous materials.

That's only if you can't afford the cost of HSS tools. For the best performance, you can't beat high carbon steel, It'll cut anything.

You crazy - everyone knows common pine makes the best cutting tools. I make most of my tooling from Home Despot 2 x 4's, I try to place the knots right where the cutting edges are for best performance.

Last edited:
Hello,

Let's assume we are in a hypothetical world where price is not a factor. Okay, now why would you choose MCD, PCD, or TC inserts?

Now with price in the mix, at what point does MCD become better than PCD or TC?

And here the OP thought they didn't need help promoting their products.....:D

It is true, I work for Cosmic Diamonds. But this is a start-up. The reason I am asking these questions is to better understand the customer segment we are trying to serve so that we may better direct our research and development. I do not have a product to sell at this point, so I am just trying to learn.

It is true, I work for Cosmic Diamonds. But this is a start-up. The reason I am asking these questions is to better understand the customer segment we are trying to serve so that we may better direct our research and development. I do not have a product to sell at this point, so I am just trying to learn.

Things to doo today:
1. change name to something that would actually help me get into a shop, to sell diamonds.

Attachments

• Huggy Bear.jpg
    Huggy Bear.jpg
    36.2 KB · Views: 58
Last edited:

Get a job as a machinist for a few years.

Back