What's new
What's new

More fanuc oi questions

cuttergrinder

Hot Rolled
Im trying to get our recently purchased leadwell lathe up and running. I am just spending a few minutes each day at lunchtime playing with it. It has a fanuc oi control. I have figured out how to set the tool offsets and the part offsets. so far we only have one tool in it and it is in tool 11 position. I set the offset on this tool but the machine doesn't recognize the offset of the tool. it says it is on tool zero. I tried using mdi to call a tool change such as T0303 but it always give me an error. Exactly how do I initiate a tool change with mdi. Do I type the T0303 and hit input or do I just hit cycle start or what. I have tried reading the manual but these manuals are written in Chinese and translated with google or something. I am used to mazatrol. Much easier in my opinion.

In MDI, punch in:

T0303;

Hit "Insert" then "Cycle Start"

Don't forget the "End of Block" character ";"

Ok thanks. I left out the EOB. Will this make the control recognize the offset of tool 3. I will try this in the morning
T0303 calls tool 3 and offset 3. If you want to use Tool 11, it's T1111. The first 2 digits are the turret position and the second 2 digits are the offset.

It's parameter dependent- you can set the first 2 digits to call the turret position and geometry offset together, and the second 2 digits are then just the wear offsets. That's not very common though- usually both offsets are called by the second 2 digits.

Not having an EOB will definitely cause it to not execute the MDI command. Might want to try just T11; insert start, and see if it brings the offset with it. My OT-C controls only need the offset to be called if it is different from the tool number such as T0809. If I call T08 it is the same as T0808.

..... why would a person ever want to use a tool with another tool offset.

Say you have two critical diameters along a part cut by the same tool. If you use separate offsets for each diameter, it's easy to adjust each diameter separately. Some folks will do this by editing the programmed diameters. Just depends on each shop's practices.

I know what you saying. I will try it tomorrow but why would a person ever want to use a tool with another tool offset.

The above listed reasons as well as to run 2 tools in the same turret station. I have made double station tool blocks to hold say a drill and small boring bar to true the hole up. Obviously only works with small work sticking out of the chuck of collet. I also have a bar puller I made that mounts to the side of the part off tool shank. While you don't need another offset for it, I do use one.

Also I will change out the entire tool block to change boring bars and tend to leave the offset with the tooling block.

I played with the machine a little today. I got it execute a mdi tool change and now the display recognizes the tool offset. I have a 50' long shaft in the machine that is about 7 1/2" diam. I believe my tool offset is set right. When the I take a cut at X 7.5 it cuts the shaft to 7.5". The g54 is set so my display is reading z zero when my tool is at the right end of the shaft. I tried to make a little program to simulate taking a cut on the od of the shaft. When I try to write a G00 move I type

G00 press insert X8. press insert ; press insert

But what shows up in the program is the number displayed on screen for X plus 8. Why does it do this?

I played with the machine a little today. I got it execute a mdi tool change and now the display recognizes the tool offset. I have a 50' long shaft in the machine that is about 7 1/2" diam. I believe my tool offset is set right. When the I take a cut at X 7.5 it cuts the shaft to 7.5". The g54 is set so my display is reading z zero when my tool is at the right end of the shaft. I tried to make a little program to simulate taking a cut on the od of the shaft. When I try to write a G00 move I type

G00 press insert X8. press insert ; press insert

But what shows up in the program is the number displayed on screen for X plus 8. Why does it do this?

Is G54 active?

Yes it is. Does it need to be deactivated?

No, it's your work offset, you need it.

Have you set your part location?
If your X is off by 8, that most likely means that your G54 X number is off by 8 (assuming your tool offset value is correct).

OR

Or you have a value of 8 in your tool WEAR offset.

I got it work. I dont think i had it on edit when i was trying to program it. It works fine now except it wouldnt run because the lube warning light was on. I refilled the lube but i didnt know how to reset it. I just turned it off and then it reset the lube light. Im sure there is a way to do it without turning the machine off though.

I agree but I am trying to learn this fanuc. Actually the machine would not let me enter GOO X8. : without pressing insert between each one. I think it was because I was not in the edit mode. I did figure out that I needed it in edit mode and now it allows me to enter code as you posted so I am good now.

I agree but I am trying to learn this fanuc. Actually the machine would not let me enter GOO X8. : without pressing insert between each one. I think it was because I was not in the edit mode. I did figure out that I needed it in edit mode and now it allows me to enter code as you posted so I am good now.

Might want to make sure those are zeros and not Os... Controls don't like GO commands. They sit there and tell you to GO.... yourself.

Not that I've ever stared at a program for five minutes wondering why it wouldn't run...

Back