What's new
What's new

Mori MV35/40 Parameter Settings

dll6

Aluminum
I have a Mori MV35/40 with Yasnac MX1 controller and 20 position tool changer and am looking for the parameter settings. I am mainly looking for the option settings and settings pertaining to the 20 position tool changer located in parameters 6030-6049 & 7000-7095.
Ive had some discussion and received lots of good information from these threads, but still not the parameter settings I need.

https://www.practicalmachinist.com/vb/cnc-machining/mori-seiki-sl-2-no-power-nc-328019/index3.html
https://www.practicalmachinist.com/...aho-cnc/yasnac-mx2-mori-mvjr-troubles-227176/
https://www.practicalmachinist.com/...maho-cnc/mori-sl-1a-will-not-power-up-291427/
https://www.practicalmachinist.com/...-cnc/mv-35-troubleshooting-304788/index2.html

I still havent managed to get in contact with anyone that has one of these machines that can help. Ive accumulated a lot of good information and am willing to share.
Thank you for your time,
David

Update .. Think I got it

Finally got back to working on the mv35/40 this week,
its been a learning experience!
I suppose I'll start at the beginning.
Long story shortened ... The machine lost its parameters, or glitched enough that it would not start up. Having just recorded all the machine parameters from the controller by photographing each screen ... AT LEAST I THOUGHT I DID ... I figured I would just reconfigure the machine through system switch position 7. Turns out when I recorded the parameters I did it with the system switch in position #1. Position 1 does not show you all the parameters, part of the 6000 & 7000 range are not shown, parameters for the machine setup and ATC setup.
SIDE NOTE .. I'm still not sure if there is a single system switch position that will show all the parameters. The #4 position shows more of the parameters than the #1 position and to change some parameters you have to be in the #4 position but there is more information you need that isn't in either #1 or #4 position and I'm not entirely sure where to find it all because I didn't find it all and ended up going the long route.
SIDE NOTE TO THE SIDE NOTE ... There are even more hidden parameters in the hidden parameter list, I think they are the 6400-6500 parameters, that are some sort of settings the manufacturer uses to configure the machine at the factory and luckily those didn't get messed up because I doubt if anyone on this planet still knows them.
I just had a scary thought, are the 6400-6500 parameters in permanent memory or are they lost if the battery for memory dies??? I've seen lots of forum posts of late of people having battery problems and I don't remember a single one that they posted, having figured it out. Thinking about it again, it's more likely they did figure it out and just didn't bother coming back to share what they learned with the people that helped them figure it out.
Back to where I was .. Along with "parameters" you need "settings" to reconfigure the machine. Probably not a bad idea to know exactly what state the machine is in and record all the "DGN" conditions also. For example are the axis's "zero returned", ATC magazine position, tool# in spindle, "ALM" display, tool #'s in magazine positions and anything else you can think of. It's handy for recognizing information in the parameters to help give you an idea on what a parameter, setting or DGN pertains to. Hopefully your machine is X,Y,Z zero returned when things go haywire .. "Murphy's Law" Mine wasn't...
Once you get the parameters and settings back in, now you have a machine that will power up and move the X&Y axis but not the Z axis, because the z axis is interlocked by the ATC error condition, it needs to relearn how to walk essentially. Since my machine, the Z axis, wasn't at zero return (all axis's have to be "zero returned" for teaching the ATC) I had to somehow manually rotate the ball screw to get the Z axis in position so the ATC arm wouldn't hit the spindle nose. I used the Z axis encoder by carefully grabbing the encoder from the top (just the top portion turns, not the body) and the driven pulley from the bottom to turn CW to raise the spindle and CCW to lower the spindle, using this method the effort to LOWER THE Z AXIS IS MUCH EASIER THAN TO RAISE IT (this method is also handy to get the machine out of over travel conditions, OT when the Z axis won't move by any other means). At this point If there is a tool in the spindle, that should be taken out. You might be able to use the push buttons on the face of the spindle, if "Murphy's Law" comes into play there are "M" codes to clamp and unclamp or find the relay inside the power cabinet to manually activate clamp/unclamp, have something to catch the tool holder when it falls out of the spindle, when your inside the power cabinet messing with relays .. ask me how I know that.
Now you can teach the ATC, it wants to see a specific sequence of solenoid activations along with corresponding replies from the correct limit switch to relearn and clear the axis interlock. Follow the procedure in "instruction manual" for "ATC cycle troubles" in the "inspection and maintenance manual (electrical system)" section if your working on a mori seiki mv35/40. I was able to M31, M35, M19, M80 etc through all the tool change steps and the control magically knew where it was and was happy again, interlock condition cleared, z axis working and able to zero return on all axis's.
This has been a greatly shortened version of what it took me to get to where I am now.
THE PRECEDING IS NOT AN EXACT "HOW TO", YOUR RESULTS WILL VARY.

Nice work!!!

There is one of the maintenance M-codes that I recall hanging a lot of folks on that era of Mori VMCs. I don't recall the M-code number but the description was "Rack Return". It had to do with getting the cylinder that does the 180 degree rotation back to the right start point at the end of the toolchange.

BTW, I always put a box with some packing material in it under the spindle tool when working on something that might cause a tool to drop.....

Nice work!!!

There is one of the maintenance M-codes that I recall hanging a lot of folks on that era of Mori VMCs. I don't recall the M-code number but the description was "Rack Return". It had to do with getting the cylinder that does the 180 degree rotation back to the right start point at the end of the toolchange.

BTW, I always put a box with some packing material in it under the spindle tool when working on something that might cause a tool to drop.....

Yes, "Rack Return" is a "M88" I think it was some sort of return operation for the tool holder magazine, 20 position in my case.
The whole re-configuring of the ATC is definitely a PITA. Often a "M" command wont do anything, and one has to figure out what dependency isnt being met that will allow an "M" command to be used.

"box with some packing material" Thats where I got the idea! I recall that now from a post of yours somewhere .. I credit you for that one.
Thanks again!!

Yes, "Rack Return" is a "M88" I think it was some sort of return operation for the tool holder magazine, 20 position in my case.
The whole re-configuring of the ATC is definitely a PITA. Often a "M" command wont do anything, and one has to figure out what dependency isnt being met that will allow an "M" command to be used.

"box with some packing material" Thats where I got the idea! I recall that now from a post of yours somewhere .. I credit you for that one.
Thanks again!!

ATC RECOVERY/RESTORATION

I had problems again with the automatic tool changer and thought I'd add some information i didn't get into the previous posts.
If you have the machine zero returned when you have problems, try not to turn it off. Being in "zero return" at all axis will make recovery easier. Not in zero return is what usually leads to one being tempted to manually activate the solenoids.

Solenoids for atc positioning .. Use them as an absolute last resort .. Using them screws up the atc magazine positioning within the parameters, the controller will no longer display the correct magazine position on the "pos" screen. It's fixable by going into the 7000's parameters and telling it the correct positions.
To use "cycle start" the system switch has to be in position #1 .. be sure to put it back after you change parameter 7020 to 1 in an effort to M code through the atc cycle.

Back