What's new
What's new

Mori Seiki AL-2 Axis arrange?

tapped

Plastic
Hey guys, after moving my shop, one of machines, the AL-2 Mori with Fanuc 10T controls upon power up has a SV026 "Illegal axis arrange" on main screen. All other machines are ok so I know it's not a power issue, it's phased correctly.

I guess my question is has anyone seen this and it's simple or do I need to replace a couple of boards?

I have an idea on the boards that may be causing issues, it should be noted that upon power up it was on the IPL screen and appeared to have lost it's memory, despite batteries being good, I have all the books and documents so I proceeded to input the options but once main screen comes up, I get this axis arrange error. I thought it may be possible an option was wrong, but why did machine go blank in the first place...

Many wonders and decisions to make before I scrap all these Mori's and buy a new ST10...

Most likely the machine "lost" its memory during the move.
Illegal axis arrange - usually looking for an axis that doesn't exist, like a C or Y.
If the machine was in IPL mode, you would usually just say "2" for number of axis.

Correct, and it asked me which if I remember correctly it wanted letters, so X and Y was my input.

What has me frustrated is I called a company to come look at it, basically was told nothing I didn't already know, they have no idea what's wrong and was charged $825 for that, so I figure I will fix it myself or throw it in the scrap bin.

If you have a backup of the parameters that would be an easy fix for any moderately competent tech.

Too bad you are so far from me. If you ended up getting rid of it, I would be interested if it was close enough for me to haul. ☹️

If you have a backup of the parameters that would be an easy fix for any moderately competent tech.

Too bad you are so far from me. If you ended up getting rid of it, I would be interested if it was close enough for me to haul. ☹️

That's what I thought, I usually can fix them and do the maintenance but this was a little out of my league so I called a place...I do have all the books and parameter list, but I question if they are wrong or there is another issue.

Well, I will let you know, ha, I will make you a hell of a deal if I end up buying a new lathe, this one has 8" chuck, chip conveyor, and I'd probably sell both Mori's, I also have a SL-1A that runs perfect with Fanuc 6T controls, 6" chuck and the yellow servos/AC Spindle (apparently that was a good thing according to some old school Mori guys)both have hydraulic tailstocks and I have a lot of jaws for both, and tooling sleeves.

That's what I thought, I usually can fix them and do the maintenance but this was a little out of my league so I called a place...I do have all the books and parameter list, but I question if they are wrong or there is another issue. .......

I suspect that the guy you hired did not know how to enter the option/configuration hex values when in the IPL mode. The Illegal Axis Arrangement alarm is most commonly caused by those hex values being vacant or corrupt. Without correct data there the firmware barfs because it sees no axis assignments or a mismatch between a corrupt value and the physical configuration.

Axis designation should be "X" and "Z".

That's what I had put in, but I think it asked how many there are as well, so of course I put 2. I think I'm going to turn it on and go through it again to double check some things, it's been a few weeks now, but this is where I get stuck, it won't let me push anything.

IMG_1760.jpg

So a quick follow up on this, I went through the options list again, it asks a number, not X or Y specifically. So I input 2 and reading the documents I have about IPL Mode it should do exactly what it is doing.

But here is the odd part, according to the paperwork, once getting to the mainscreen, it will have many alarms and axis arrange errors, then push the "settings" softkey to proceed to enter more info...well I have no settings softkey, this is where I'm stuck. Nothing I push gets it to move on so I can finish up parameter input. If I hold the power button I can start the spindle, clamp/unclamp jaw, but other than that, I am just stuck.

No one seems to know so I'm going to sell it as parts, AL-2BTM, 8" chuck, tailstock, parts catcher, tool preset arm, chip conveyor, Fanuc 10T with FAPT controls. I have all the books and paperwork if ya'll know anyone that would want it before I list it.

Thanks Rick, I’m on vacation at the moment and without my contacts for a trucking quote. I have a feeling that cost in conjunction with the machine cost will make a more local machine a better option. I’m back home next week and can get an idea of what things look like. Roughly, where in Tx are you? It’s a big place.

Thanks Rick, I’m on vacation at the moment and without my contacts for a trucking quote. I have a feeling that cost in conjunction with the machine cost will make a more local machine a better option. I’m back home next week and can get an idea of what things look like. Roughly, where in Tx are you? It’s a big place.

I'm on the North end of DFW, not sure what your budget is or willing to pay for such machine, but if someone walked in here with $1000 they can have it, with all the jaws, books and turret bushings I have for it.

Back