What's new
What's new

Mori Seiki AL20 compared to SL15

kjmtm21

Plastic
Hey Guys,

We just purchased a Mori Seiki AL 20 at auction. We have not received it yet, but I was hoping
someone could tell me about the difference between the AL machines and the SL machines.
We have a number of Mori SL3's, but have never had an AL 20.

Thanks!

AL series was introduced to be a lower cost and limited feature and size product compared to the SL series. Linear ways allowed faster rapids versus box ways on the SLs. First few years of AL series had an odd mechanical turret indexing and clamp mechanism. Cam operated and used large Belleville springs to clamp it. This caused it to clamp at each tool position even when indexing past multiple positions. Toward the end of the run before the CL series machines came out, they started coming with a more traditional hydraulic clamped turret. As the product line evolved they became available with a sub spindle and other features.

Despite being lighter than the equivalent sized SL they were a pretty robust machine. I did service work on a fair number of them at a tier 1 auto supplier were they often ran 24x5 or 6. Hundreds of parts per shift in predominantly high silicon die castings. Most of those machines needed new linear guides and ballscrews on the X axis after ~5-6 years of operation. The Z guides and screws did not get the same exposure to chips that X did so they were still good after I stopped doing field service.

Thanks for the info. I hadn't thought about the ways being linear instead of box.
I'm hoping to get some good service out of this one, but I do like my mid 80's to
early 90's SL machines. My first machine was a 1985 Mori SL4. I purchased it in 1997,
and we still run it daily. Great machines!

Back