What's new
What's new

Locknuts loose on 4020 VMC jackscrews after installation.

Gman4405

Aluminum
Hello all. I just had a 2015 Fadal 4020B (Series 1 Taiwan Built VMC) I was working on some items to do with the coolant tank on the floor and upon checking the locknuts for the jackscrews used in leveling the machine I discovered they were all left loose by the installation technician.I'm not a CNC tech but have many years as a mechanic/machinist on a variety of equioment. The first thing that strikes me is that this is wrong and there would be a possibility over time (and heavy interupted cutting) that the jackscrews may back off putting the machine in an out of level along with getting uneven weight distribution over the 6 jackscrews. Any techs or owners have any opinion and experience with this scituation?? Thanks in advance for all your comments......G

Hello all. I just had a 2015 Fadal 4020B (Series 1 Taiwan Built VMC) I was working on some items to do with the coolant tank on the floor and upon checking the locknuts for the jackscrews used in leveling the machine I discovered they were all left loose by the installation technician.I'm not a CNC tech but have many years as a mechanic/machinist on a variety of equioment. The first thing that strikes me is that this is wrong and there would be a possibility over time (and heavy interupted cutting) that the jackscrews may back off putting the machine in an out of level along with getting uneven weight distribution over the 6 jackscrews. Any techs or owners have any opinion and experience with this scituation?? Thanks in advance for all your comments......G

I never tightened the lock nuts down right off the bat , to be perfectly honest its a pain in the ass.
after you do your intial level, you run your machine for a few months then relevel, I usually check it once a week for the 1st month and every month for the 1st 6 months. Matter of fact I leave and allen wrench in the right side screws and the left side screws for the 1st 6 months
then check it in a year, after a year the machine is generally settled pretty much . still get in the habit of checkign it once a year.

I never tightened the lock nuts down right off the bat , to be perfectly honest its a pain in the ass.......

Yep, same here. On a new install I never tightened down the locknuts. To level the machine properly, you're gonna be under there again pretty soon to tweak it some once the machine and floor have gotten all acquainted with each other. After the second or third leveling then I'd set the lock nuts. How often you will need to check it and/or re-level will depend on the floor and sub-grade quality.

Yep, same here. On a new install I never tightened down the locknuts. To level the machine properly, you're gonna be under there again pretty soon to tweak it some once the machine and floor have gotten all acquainted with each other. After the second or third leveling then I'd set the lock nuts. How often you will need to check it and/or re-level will depend on the floor and sub-grade quality.
Thats good to hear but in my case I would have to take apart the complete coolant pump and 7 hose system , most likely drain the coolant trough as its much to heavy to move, and then pull out the coolant trough just to have access to the 6 jackscrews. Looks to be a major pain in the arse not to mention the cost of possibly one whole days labor.

Thats good to hear but in my case I would have to take apart the complete coolant pump and 7 hose system , most likely drain the coolant trough as its much to heavy to move, and then pull out the coolant trough just to have access to the 6 jackscrews. Looks to be a major pain in the arse not to mention the cost of possibly one whole days labor.

And your point is? If you don't care that the machine is geometrically as good as possible then I guess you would see it as too much work.

I think your numbers are way off. when I have a coolant leak my tank drains in less than 20 mins. floor clean up is pretty fast now that I have this cool floor sweeper/vacuum. ;) but thats besides the point.
drain your coolant into 5 gal buckets, loosen the 7 hose clamps pull hoses, then slide out coolant tank. its really that simple. 2 hours tops including leveling and refilling the machine.
or if your smart you would put wheels on your coolant tank(many ways to do it).
I mean seriously your talking maybe once or twice if that.

besides that locknuts not tightent is no biggy on a heavy mill like a 4020

I think your numbers are way off. when I have a coolant leak my tank drains in less than 20 mins. floor clean up is pretty fast now that I have this cool floor sweeper/vacuum. ;) but thats besides the point.
drain your coolant into 5 gal buckets, loosen the 7 hose clamps pull hoses, then slide out coolant tank. its really that simple. 2 hours tops including leveling and refilling the machine.
or if your smart you would put wheels on your coolant tank(many ways to do it).
I mean seriously your talking maybe once or twice if that.

besides that locknuts not tightent is no biggy on a heavy mill like a 4020

Thanks much for your input.

Back