What's new
What's new

Mori Seiki SL-2 No Power To NC

Volitan

Hot Rolled
The hydraulics on our Mori power up, but the control is dead - no lights or anything. I think it's the power supply but I'd like someone who knows about these things to check me. I don't have schematics for this part of the machine and can't seem to find any online.

What I've found so far is that when you push the ON button at the control, a contactor in the back (labelled NCM) is engaged for about 3 seconds, then kicks off.

While that's engaged, the power supply (Yaskawa CPS-15) gets 100 volts AC from two wires (marked "r" and "t", 50 volts each),
while that's happening, I checked one of the +15V outputs and got +.12V and stopped there.

Is this power supply supposed to be fed 100V, and do you think I'm barking up the right tree here?

Thanks!

Without a print this is going to be hard to fix. I would disconnect plugs, and shut of overloads, one at a time and see if the machine will turn the control on.

What brand and generation of control? While not always the same, depending on the machine, many times as an example a Fanuc O series will use the same power supply on various models.

What brand and generation of control? While not always the same, depending on the machine, many times as an example a Fanuc O series will use the same power supply on various models.

Yasnac 2000G. LAter on today Im going to do what ifixcnc said and unplug the the outputs from the power supply and check it then.

I had a Mori with a Yasnac control that would do this if the automatic way Oiler was low.

Good Luck

I had a Mori with a Yasnac control that would do this if the automatic way Oiler was low.

Good Luck

It's funny what they can do when they get old. We had an old Hitachi mill that wouldn't turn on because of the electric fan on the spindle motor was bad.

I unhooked everything on the power supply on the lathe but the power wires and there was still 0 to .12 volts coming out of it.
It's at one of our customers now, they say they can fix it.

Just to update the thread (and also to bump it for fuquamatt), it was the power supply. The 15 volt leads weren't putting out nearly as much as they should be.

We bought a rebuilt one from precision zone.

Also, got a schematic from Home | OldMoriSL which helped a lot!

Thanks for the reply .. I did figure out my power up problem. Somehow I managed to wipe all the parameters from the control without having the controls set to write parameters. I did a memory regeneration and it fired up with X,Y,Z servo errors. They cleared once I got all the parameters back in it. Luckily one of the first things I did when I got the machine was take pictures of all the parameter settings.
Now I can't get the machine to zero return, when I try it goes past zero and stops at a over travel switch. Nor get the automatic tool changer to cycle. Maybe I screwed up something digging around in it trying to fix it.
At least now I have a half dozen different, good used boards .. I bought them right before I did the memory regeneration.

Can't get it to home. When I try it alarms with error 201 OT (x),202 OT (y)or 203 OT (z). It homed fine before the memory loss and subsequent memory regeneration.

I should also mention this is a Mori mv35/40 with yasnac mx1 controller. Very similar controller to the Lx1 on the lathes

I just noticed x,y & z on all 4 position displays screens reset to zero when I restart the machine. No matter the position when I shut it off. That can't be right

I just noticed x,y & z on all 4 position displays screens reset to zero when I restart the machine. No matter the position when I shut it off. That can't be right

On MX1 and MX2 controls that is how they work. Yaskawa did not have absolute encoders when those controls were made. After power up and a zero return operation completed then the actual coordinate system is established.

I have some Yaskawa info at my shop. I'll try to remember to have a look through it when I go there later today.

It's been at least 20 years since I last touched an MX1 equipped machine, so working from old notes and manual.....

After you did the memory regen, did you load values in the 7000-7095 parameters?

When you say it hits a switch on overtravel, do you have to press and hold the overtravel release switch and power up the servos again to move away? If it allows you to just move away without pressing the OT release switch, then when it gives the overtravel alarm post the contents of Diagnostic 1319.

Thank you for the reply,
Yes I took pictures of all the parameters and diagnostic screens, parameters to #8511 is the last parameter, and re entered everything after the memory regeneration.
Zrn x,y or z travels with no slow downs till it stops with Alarm 201,202&203. At which point the servos are still powered and I have to switch to a manual mode to get it to move in a negative direction.
I have heard spoken of a over travel release switch but have never had to use it. Honestly I don't even know where it is.
This evening I'll get diagnostic 1319.
Thank you

Diagnostic code 1319

With the machine axis's centered and no alarms, diagnostic 1319 bits all 1.
If I over travel to the ...
+X OT, bit 0 changes to 0
-X OT, bit 1 changes to 0
+Y OT, bit 2 changes to 0
-Y OT, bit 3 changes to 0
+Z OT, bit 4 changes to 0
-Z OT, bit 5 changes to 0

Last edited:
OK, now watch Diagnostic 1328 while slowly jogging toward the zero return point. Should be 1 on each axis then switch to 0 for at least one revolution of the motor then switch back to 1.

Also let me know what the content of parameters 6010, 6012, 6013, and 6016 is.

Back