What's new
What's new

Mori Seiki SL-25SY EX 2018 error

meowkat

Aluminum
I have the machine mostly functional, except when trying to start the main spindle I get a special error "EX 2018 Y axis mode" and some Japanese writing.

So I switch to the "custom" menu and to the Y axis manual control page, something called a "Y axis base block" is "in" and starts flashing if I try to move it "out" with a message saying something about the Y axis 2nd zero position. It doesn't move out.

There is apparently an order of operations to it, with base block out being the first step, then servo off, brake clamp, etc. Trying to engage the clamp asks me to first disengage the servo, which asks me to move the base block out, etc.

Not sure where the best place to start poking around is. What does the EX 2018 error mean exactly anyway?

keyboard.jpg

There is a procedure in the book that tells how to make it happy. I don't remember off the top of my head. I know when you are going to use the Y axis, you have to G30 U0. W0. to get it to engage the motor and release the brake.

Air sensor on the back is apparently very particular and wouldn't let the Y base block move. Many hours on the phone with DMG Mori later and all is well--mostly. Time to figure out how to align the turret.

If you have to adjust the turret, be sure to check the live tool drive after adjustment. The live tool drive does not move with the turret so whatever amount you adjust the turret, you are putting the drive out of adjustment.

If you have to adjust the turret, be sure to check the live tool drive after adjustment. The live tool drive does not move with the turret so whatever amount you adjust the turret, you are putting the drive out of adjustment.

It's already out of alignment with the live tool drive, I believe. Is there a good option for fixing that?

The big cover on the tail stock end has to come off. It has 2 setscrews in the side of a block to do a minor adjustment. If that is not enough you have to get pretty deep in there to fix it. It has been a while since I had to do that. Also there is a parameter for getting the drive rotation set correctly.

Yes, that is bad. Not gonna correct that with the set screws. If I remember correctly, I had to take out the servo motor that runs the live tool, a small belt and gear (for orientation of the live tool drive, I think) just to get to the bolts I needed. It is kind of a pain.

Back