What's new
What's new

Mori Seiki SL3, what to look at?

Kenre

Cast Iron
Im looking at purchasing a SL3 lathe.

Any pointers in what i should look at, check etc? it will be powered up to see it run and listen to.
Has Fanuc 3TD control.

I know its an old machine with an older control, but will be a Huge step up from what i have atm.

Any help appreciated!

Ken

These were very well built machines and many have stood the test of time. Listen to the drive train through out it's entire speed range, index the turret and if possible look to see if the tool stations are on center. Depending on how much time you have and what the owner has to say look under the hood as much as possible. Check the ways, ball screws and way covers. The earlier machines did not have a CRT monitor just a series of LED's I found those machines difficult to deal with and stayed away from them. If it has an early control with LED's come back here and ask again.

Good luck I hope it's a keeper for you.

Make Chips Boys !

Ron

The earlier machines did not have a CRT monitor just a series of LED's I found those machines difficult to deal with and stayed away from them.
Ron

I worked at a place that had a dozen or so Citizen F-16 and F-20s 1980 vintage Fanuc 3T's which had LED's that showed something like 6 spaces at a time. G50Z0 pretty much took up the whole display. When another facility merged with us, we got in a couple year newer F-25 and I believe a Star KNC that had CRT's. Everybody thought those CRT's were the greatest thing in the world. LED displays and tape readers, those were the days.

Ron, Thankyou
There are some LEDs, But It does have a CRT! The 3DT has conversational programming.

I've never actually seen a Fanuc control family tree. I believe the 3T is actually newer then the 6T? Even though it makes no sense I think I've been wrong in saying the 6T was newer, this could be how come it has a CRT and some 5Ts didn't? Having said that I didn't realize either had an option for a conversational side to the control.

Wish I had some wisdom to give on as to what to check for but as I'm sure you already know it's a gamble buying a machine of this age even after giving it a good once over.

My question to you would be how good are you at troubleshooting and fixing something like this?

I agree Mori made good iron back when this thing was born.

Good luck!

Brent

Yes the 3T came out just after the 6T, i did see a timeline on the net showing the history but cant find it now.
It basically cut down 6T. dont know much about anything Fanuc other than that. Might have to learn real fast !

As to diagnosing and fixing something like this, i think i can cope, with a little guidance. I have some electrical knowledge.
Mechanical and hydraulic repairs, no probs.

Check the ways. A good SL3 will not have any grooves carved into them. Run the spindle up and down index the turret fwd and bwd. If it checks - you have a winner. They are a good, rugged, heavy cutting, accurate machine that Mori still supports.
I have a 1986 SL3 my dad bought new. Never crashed. Ways in good shape. Still holds tolerance.

I've never actually seen a Fanuc control family tree. I believe the 3T is actually newer then the 6T? Even though it makes no sense I think I've been wrong in saying the 6T was newer, this could be how come it has a CRT and some 5Ts didn't? Having said that I didn't realize either had an option for a conversational side to the control.

Hi Brent,

The 3 series is slightly newer that the 6 series. The 5 series is older than both. The 3 was the "budget model" for Fanuc at the time and evolved into the 0 series. A CRT was optional on both the 3 and 6 series in the A versions. Not many builders skipped adding the CRT option though as it was a big selling point despite it raising the cost of the machine.

I have never seen a 6T with conversational programming, but the 6MB2 was a conversational mill control. Color graphics and all. Pretty advanced for ~1983 or 84 when I first saw it. The 3TF was the conversational lathe version of the 3 series. The F in the control designation indicated that the control had FAPT which was Fanuc's flavor of conversational lathe programming. Never heard of or saw a 3M with conversational.

Mori SL series machines of that era were really solid machines. Way oil troubles (plugged metering valves) was the most often overlooked maintenance item that lead to them getting worn out.

Way oil troubles (plugged metering valves) was the most often overlooked maintenance item that lead to them getting worn out.

Check the leadscrew backlash as the leadscrew ball nuts are lubed from oil passages in the carriage supplied by the metering ports. The SL3 i have had some wear, not from clogged ports, but from an oil lube pump that wasn't pumping with any pressure

Really appreciate the help Guys!

Whats the easiest way to check ball screw backlash? Test or dial indicator on a mag base reading off the turret?
If i see lube on the ballscrews and ways that should be a good thing. Are they easy to access for inspection?
What tools should i take if any covers need to be removed ?

Also, if i end up purchasing it, how much room behind the machine will i need for servicing access? It will be a tight fit into the workshop!

Attachments

• Screenshot_2019-04-10 Mori Seiki SL3 CNC lathe eBay.jpg
    Screenshot_2019-04-10 Mori Seiki SL3 CNC lathe eBay.jpg
    13 KB · Views: 216
Way oil troubles (plugged metering valves) was the most often overlooked maintenance item that lead to them getting worn out.

If you end up with this machine take his advice and replace all of these metering valves when you get it.

This would be one of the first things I did after I got it settled in if it were mine. I'd change them even if they looked brand new.

Brent

I worked at a place that had a dozen or so Citizen F-16 and F-20s 1980 vintage Fanuc 3T's which had LED's that showed something like 6 spaces at a time. G50Z0 pretty much took up the whole display. When another facility merged with us, we got in a couple year newer F-25 and I believe a Star KNC that had CRT's. Everybody thought those CRT's were the greatest thing in the world. LED displays and tape readers, those were the days.

Man Tape readers what a blast. I was just a kid in 1980 and second shift Probationary employee at a large water meter company in Dedham Ma. Hearsy Products. I saw four Morie SL's take out two entire departments of manual lathes. Maybe six W&S # 3's and #5's in my department lost all the work being done on them. They had two huge K&T Horizontal CNC Mills that ran on tape and had small wheels to manually turn to make tool offsets.

I didint know shit at the time but as I look back the CNC revolution had begun and was sweeping across the world.

Make Chips Boys !

Ron

That control panel looks pretty clean for a machine that old. I always allow a minimum of 3 feet clearance around any equipment for servicing.

Took a 5 hour drive and inspected the SL3. Am happy with what i seen, runs very quiet actually.
Couldnt get the conversational program to run, they couldnt remember how lol. Tech is going to look and write down how to do it before i get it shipped.

No manuals tho, Any ideas where to get them?

Any precautions for moving it? Does the turret need to be blocked against the tail stock etc?

Cheers

Any precautions for moving it? Does the turret need to be blocked against the tail stock etc?

Cheers

Make sure the parameters are backed up. If they have it on a disk or USB stick verify it's a good copy. Wouldn't hurt to get the parameters printed out as well.

Probably should run the turret down to the tailstock and put a piece of wood as low as possible between the two. Would want to make sure the clamps for the tailstock are good and tight

OK, how do you do a backup? no manuals, or discs or paperwork of any sort that i know of. Hopefully there is something hidden away in the electronic enclosures.

Talk with this guy I'll be he can help. You will probably need to buy an RS232 to USB port but well worth it. This guy helped me a lot with an old TC-2 and my FADAl

Jerry Williams
Highland DNC, LLC.
30711 Saddlebag Trail
Myakka City, FL. 34251
PH. 941-322-2286
FAX. 941-322-2287
Cell 301-293-9530
Highland DNC, LLC.

OK, how do you do a backup? no manuals, or discs or paperwork of any sort that i know of. Hopefully there is something hidden away in the electronic enclosures.

I'd be surprised considering it's age if a backup didn't exist.

Look on the web, there'll be procedures on how to backup from a 3T control. I've never used a 3T so don't know how. Vancbiker would know for sure.

If the SL3 is connected, or has been connected to a PC then you'll be able to upload the parameters to the PC. I'd ask the present owners to do this. Or if it has backup batteries to put a fresh set in.That's if it uses backup batteries like my 0M does.

As for moving at that age it needs as smooth a journey as possible. Air ride trailer or equivalent. Those 35 year old electronics don't need a lot of jarring to arrive DOA.

Couldnt get the conversational program to run, they couldnt remember how lol.

Cheers

This machine only runs off conversational programming? They/You wasn't able to do anything through MDI?

Glad you found it worthy to purchase. So it has a 10" chuck? Crank the tailstock body back and forth and lock it down with a wrench but with a programmable quill? 10 station turret, high and low gear with 3000 Maz RPM?

Does any tooling come with it, boring bar holders and adapter sleeves, turret face adapters? Hard jaws?

Brent

Back