What's new
What's new

Mori Seikki SL-0A Again

Fanuc 2 T as for the year I have searched all over for a date but even tho the tags have a gap for the date none are filled out :nutter:DSC_0028.jpg

Our Barfeeder doesn’t appear to have an E-stop but I get your drift.

We can get it to turn on and press the green key labelled CON left of the operator lock switch. The green light above turns on and we could move the axis’s for about 30 seconds then the light goes off. This wouldn’t allow it to home correctly so I manually moved them home. Now exploring more of the controller I could access nearly everything but moving to MDI and EDIT the screen still said JOG mode now Im sure its cause we didn’t home it right.

So the million dollar question is whats tricking the machine????
Also the machine did not show any alarms or faults
My suspects are
1. Barfeeder not talking back to the machine as its not hooked up
2. Low hydraulic oil sensor trip. Im sceptical as at no point did the machine display any alarm but we lost a bit of oil in the move

Photos of the controller. Anyone want to guess Mori seiki doesn’t sound all that interested
dsc_0110.jpgdsc_0114.jpg

Oh also can anyone recommend a Hydraulic oil I know it’s nothing critical from memory we only had one drum for all our CNC’s

Fanuc 2 T as for the year I have searched all over for a date but even tho the tags have a gap for the date none are filled out :nutter:
Don't expect it to say 1984. Machine of that Vintage will be in Emperor years Japan. Hirohito (The Pearl harbour bloke) / Showa era. Google it, it's a good read.
A Showa cross reference calendar will help you ping it if you can find a number, http://www.meijigakuin.ac.jp/~watson/ref/mtsh.html

I've never, ever heard of a Fanuc "2T" You'd wanna hope thats some sort of re-named 6T in 1980's Mori speak, for two axis,
Mori seiki doesn’t sound all that interested.
To be fair, any one that knew that machine would be long retired / dead. That's a Dinosaur. Even our resident guru Bill W. He'd have been in short pant's. He's not much older than me.

Regards Phil.

Don't expect it to say 1984. Machine of that Vintage will be in Emperor years Japan. Hirohito (The Pearl harbour bloke) / Showa era. Google it, it's a good read.
A Showa cross reference calendar will help you ping it if you can find a number, http://www.meijigakuin.ac.jp/~watson/ref/mtsh.html

I've never, ever heard of a Fanuc "2T" You'd wanna hope thats some sort of re-named 6T in 1980's Mori speak, for two axis,
To be fair, any one that knew that machine would be long retired / dead. That's a Dinosaur. Even our resident guru Bill W. He'd have been in short pant's. He's not much older than me.[/COLOR]

Regards Phil.

Hello Phil,
The Series 2 control is of the same ilk as the Series 3 control. Mostly you will see it referred to as a 2T A control, bundled in the same manual with 3T C. It is to the 6T control as the Series 0 (circa late 80s early 90s) control was to FS10, 11, 12 controls of the day. Accordingly, parameters for the Series 3 control are the same for the Series 2. The Yellow System 2T label on the control fascia indicates that its a late model, probably specified as a 2T Model B the same as the Yellow System 6T label on a control indicates the control is a Series 6 Model B.

Best regards,

Bill

The Series 2 control is of the same ilk as the Series 3 control. Mostly you will see it referred to as a 2T A control, bundled in the same manual with 3T C
Any way we look at it, its old.OPRAH calls this an Intervention. This New_Guy hasn't declared which part of the country he is in. But if it was around the corner, I'd go take a look just for the history lesson.

Regards Phil.

....We can get it to turn on and press the green key labelled CON left of the operator lock switch. The green light above turns on and we could move the axis’s for about 30 seconds then the light goes off. This wouldn’t allow it to home correctly so I manually moved them home. Now exploring more of the controller I could access nearly everything but moving to MDI and EDIT the screen still said JOG mode now Im sure its cause we didn’t home it right.

IIRC homing that machine does not matter as to the screen showing what mode you have selected.

...So the million dollar question is whats tricking the machine????
Also the machine did not show any alarms or faults
My suspects are
1. Barfeeder not talking back to the machine as its not hooked up
2. Low hydraulic oil sensor trip. Im sceptical as at no point did the machine display any alarm but we lost a bit of oil in the move

Photos of the controller. Anyone want to guess Mori seiki doesn’t sound all that interested
dsc_0110.jpgdsc_0114.jpg

Oh also can anyone recommend a Hydraulic oil I know it’s nothing critical from memory we only had one drum for all our CNC’s

In my area, most machines of that era had very primitive barfeed interfaces. since you can power on momentarily and move axes, that means there was no e-stop connection to the barfeeder. The end of bar signal was very often wired into the feed hold circuit. When feeding out material and the end of bar switch was activated it would just put the machine in feed hold just as if the operator pushed the switch. You will need to do some detective work to figure out how yours is set up.

Are you sure you have your phase rotation set correctly? Have hydraulic pressure when the CON button is pressed?

A hydraulic oil rated AW32 (here in the US) will be fine for that machine.

We can get it to turn on and press the green key labelled CON left of the operator lock switch. The green light above turns on and we could move the axis’s for about 30 seconds then the light goes off. This wouldn’t allow it to home correctly so I manually moved them home. Now exploring more of the controller I could access nearly everything but moving to MDI and EDIT the screen still said JOG mode now Im sure its cause we didn’t home it right.
Hello new_guy,
When you say that you can move the axes for about 30 seconds, does that mean that the light goes out after 30 seconds whether an axis is being moved, or not, or is it the case that the green light only goes out after 30 seconds when an axis is being moved. Particularly if the slides are reasonably close to the Reference Return Position, 30 seconds should be ample time to execute a Reference Return. However, if you attempt a Reference Return with the axis too close to the Reference Return Position (beyond the trigger of the slow down switch signal) the axis will end up in Over-travel.

As Vancbiker states in his Post, the Mode selected seldom correlates to the screen that is displayed. For example, if a Position Display Screen is current, and Edit Mode is selected, then its likely that the Position Display Screen will remain current. To be able to Edit a program, the Program Button (One of the Grey Buttons - Bottom Row) must be pressed to display the current program for editing.

Where in Australia are you?

Regards,

Bill

new_guy is I think in Queensland south east corner or used to be :)
Hello RC99,
That's a bit more than just around the corner for Phil, or me.

To new_guy
Once you get past your current issue and start using the machine, you should be wary of the use of the button labeled MLK on the control panel. This button enables Machine Lock and is used primarily for proving a program. There are variations of its effect, as it's determined by the MTB, but generally it inhibits slide movement but not the Spindle, Turret Index, or Position Display function. It's a bit of a lame program confirmation tool, for in use you have to compare the Position Display of the machine with the coordinates of the program and observe if the correct tool is being indexed into the cutting location.

When Machine Lock is enabled, although slide movement is inhibited, the Position Display continues to show the position of the tool as if the slides were moving. Accordingly, if you were to inadvertently press the MLK button during normal Auto operation, realize what had been done and press it again to disable the Machine Lock, the current tool would be out of position, relative to the actual Position Display. If this happened during a Rapid Traverse move, the Out of Position Error could be quite considerable, possibly resulting in a crash during subsequent moves.

In my opinion, this is the most dangerous button on the control. Correspondingly, I either disconnect, or replace the button, or lever switch with a key lock switch so that a concerted effort is required to enable Machine Lock.

Regards,

Bill

Thanks guys really I thought this would be a boat anchor!

Short story I’m in Brisbane (I’ll try again to put my location in properly) we picked the machine up from Tamworth I do not recommend driving the new England highway in a truck. We only paid $1500 for the machine its spindle bearings are fantastic for its age and apart from oil build up its clean! Usually I would expect a fair bit of swarf behind guards and slides but this has nothing only mild steel no brass or cast iron or ally.

Vancbiker Ill check the phases rotation and no as far as I could tell the hydraulics never kicked in we are looking into the pump

Angelw the light goes out even if you do nothing unfortunately. Thanks for the tip about MLK I think we will just pull that switch out completely mate

Ill get oil tomorrow and hopefully kick it on later this week

It’s alive!
Ok cleaned out the hydraulic tank new oil great try again nothing…. Hook u the bar feeder unit still nothing wtf….checked the relays haven’t come lose nope…. Hmm I wonder if oil got into the hydraulic motor nope wtf someone did some dodgy wiring on that pump Owell try again alive!

Conclusion a lose connection on the Hydraulic motor tripping the machine because of no hydraulic pressure.

I also found a date! Phil you were very close 1983! Wow Its in good shape for its age spindle sounds great and very little swarf behind the guards tells me it was never nun very hard. The only swarf inside was mild steel no cast iron no brass and no aluminium.

Next question does this machine only store one program? I can’t find a program list on it.
Also if someone can explain how to set tools I would be very appreciative?

Thanks again to everyone who helped out:cheers:

It’s alive!

Next question does this machine only store one program? I can’t find a program list on it.
Also if someone can explain how to set tools I would be very appreciative?

Thanks again to everyone who helped out:cheers:
Hello new_guy,
More than one program can be registered and will depend on the size of memory the control has and the size of the programs registered. To display the amount of memory used and a Program Memory List proceed as follows:

1. Select Edit Mode
2. Press the PRGRM button
3. Key in the address P
4. Key in one of the following numbers 1, 2, 3 or 4
5. Press INPUT button

The Memory Registry page displayed is dependent on the number 1 to 4, as in point 4 above, that is Input.

Your machine will use G50 to set the Coordinate System.

Regards,

Bill

Back