What's new
What's new

Mori Twin Turret Turning Center

David.Kemmer

Plastic
Hello,

I will be in charge of setting up and programming a new, twin-turret Mori lathe in the coming weeks. Unfortunately, I don't have any experience with pinch/gang turning. This machine will be dedicated to turning solid, dura bar slugs. Does anyone have any advice or resources to help me along with programming this style of lathe? Any and all information is greatly appreciated and thanks in advance.

Dave K.

Single spindle with twin turret DMG Mori. I can't remember which model exactly. It will be arriving at my shop today.

Is it a brand new machine or a 'New to you machine'?
Basically you have to synchronise the two turrets to each other.
What control is on the machine?If it's Fanuc (And I'm going back a few years now) then they are synchronised with M codes.
You have a program for Turret one and a program for turret two.

Eg If you turn a thread diameter with turret one and thread with turret two, you have to make sure that
the diameter is turned before you try to thread it. So you'd put M101 after the turn program for turret one and M101 before the Thread program. The Control won't go past the M101 line Until it has been read on the other program.
If it's a new machine you should be getting training.

Hello,

I will be in charge of setting up and programming a new, twin-turret Mori lathe in the coming weeks. Unfortunately, I don't have any experience with pinch/gang turning. This machine will be dedicated to turning solid, dura bar slugs. Does anyone have any advice or resources to help me along with programming this style of lathe? Any and all information is greatly appreciated and thanks in advance.

Dave K.

Is the whole point of purchasing this machine to do "Pinch Turning"? You asked specifically about that. The answer has something to do with my next advise.

Get Gibbscam/Partmaker or Esprit to program it. I have seen some working Solidcam functionality with that type of machine, but personally have no experience. Forget Mastercam.

As was said in #4, you just need to implement "Wait Codes" (Synch Codes?)

To pinch, you would G0 both tools to the start location and then a wait code so that everybody is staged at the begining of the race equally, then once everybody is staged, they take off at the same time.

Instead of being at the same D with dbl feed, I would recommend staggard depths and one tool slightly trailing the other.

Oh yes - you NEED Camware for sure! Kan't be done w/o it!
I've been fingering 8 axis for 15 years, I should know...

Notepad++ is a good program to work in as you can set is to scroll together - side by side.

I usually just use a legal pad with 2 theoretical columns tho.

----------------------------

Think Snow Eh!
Ox

Wait codes, learn them well. Sounds like it will be a dual channel machine. Each turret
will have its own program. The wait codes just play red light green light between channels.

Talked to a service guy that went to a pissed off customer because the turrets crashed into each other from a program that the they had wrote for the customer. When he got there he looked over the program and the customer had removed the wait codes. Just happen the program actually was timed pretty well between the 2 turrets operation and it ran for a while but as feeds and speeds were adjusted the timings fell off.

Wait codes, learn them well. Sounds like it will be a dual channel machine. Each turret
will have its own program. The wait codes just play red light green light between channels.

Talked to a service guy that went to a pissed off customer because the turrets crashed into each other from a program that the they had wrote for the customer. When he got there he looked over the program and the customer had removed the wait codes. Just happen the program actually was timed pretty well between the 2 turrets operation and it ran for a while but as feeds and speeds were adjusted the timings fell off.

LOL!

-------------------------

Think Snow Eh!
Ox

Oh yes - you NEED Camware for sure! Kan't be done w/o it!
I've been fingering 8 axis for 15 years, I should know...

----------------------------

Think Snow Eh!
Ox

I hope this sarcasm was not aimed at me, I would never say "need" for that type of machine, especially if the main purpose is Pinching for the sake of metal removal.

BUT if the OP needs to write 2 or 3 programs a day, for low to medium complex parts, I would recommend it.

R

if the OP needs to write 2 or 3 programs a day, for low to medium complex parts, I would recommend it.

R

Seldom is that the application for this type machine. But with that much turn-over - I would agree with you.

-----------------

Think Snow Eh!
Ox

Tell your boss that they should get the tech to spend a few days with you. Help you write some basic codes, get a clear understanding of what others have said above and you are off to the races. A tip though is write all the programs to look the same and be familiar with what you are used to seeing in that shop for the basics. Then choose to have fun with macros and whatnot.

Ps- The amount of potential productivity lost because your programming style doesn't match what the machine can do could be staggering. Hopefully the tech can help ya out.

Back