What's new
What's new

Most Used Threadmills

Rick Finsta

Stainless
So, I've run into issues having to wait a day or two to get tooling for some job shop work that comes through (I 99% support my in house product line, but also do some other stuff on the side) or other dumb projects. I've only been machining for a few years now so my tool crib is pretty sparse other than the specific tools for my products. I'm considering getting a few common thread mill sizes so I can tackle wide ranges of thread sizes and pitches (including metric, hopefully) in random materials, as it looks to be more economical than stocking a cabinet full of taps for one-offs and really short runs in multiple styles.

1) Are ISO and UN thread forms the same, or functionally close enough for use when there is no specification ("must accept 1/4x24 cap screw," for instance) called, or when I'm making in-house tooling or fixtures?

2) If I get a small variety of single point thread mills, can I cover myself for a wide range of ISO and UN threads?

3) What am I not considering?

Speak with one of the tech applications people here: Scientific Cutting Tools, Inc. – The Cutting Edge

I use their single level ("single pitch") thread mills for a lot of applications, you can generally do a range of pitches withing a certain grind profile. I try to keep the necked stem short for stiffness, but even when having to use a longer length due to thread depth needs, I'm happy with the results.

Iscar multimaster 3fl single tooth tool is very handy for being to cut all sorts of odd sizes and pitches on larger threads. Harvey sells similar tools a little smaller in solid carbide.

You still really need to stock all the taps for smaller stuff, cant avoid it for job shop work. Sadly there is no magic threadmill that will cut everything when it comes to smaller stuff.

I have quite a few threadmills on hand because I hate taping. Ironic since I own a brother (I have PTSD from a Doosan), but I do a lot of weird stuff, and there is just no way I could economically have taps on hand.

I have found, for the one off, these guys do a nice job:
1/4" 20-56 TPI SINGLE PITCH THREAD MILL - BRAND NEW - TiALN COATED | eBay

Of course... pick whatever size you need, I have them ranging from teeny tiny, up to 3/8 as that covers most of my work.

Depending on the range of materials* you work with, first thing I would do is convert everything possible to form tapping. Modified bottoming lead.

If you do lots of 'tougher' steels this won't help you much. :D :leaving:

I LOVE form taps!

I don't have an issue with buying small taps at a few buck apiece, I have a problem with things like SAE J514/J1926 ports, big NPT stuff, etc. where I see them often enough and they cost $100+ apiece.

I LOVE form taps!

I don't have an issue with buying small taps at a few buck apiece, I have a problem with things like SAE J514/J1926 ports, big NPT stuff, etc. where I see them often enough and they cost $100+ apiece.

Never had to tap a Spiralock, eh?

Funny, I've gone the opposite direction since i got the Brother. My old machine didn't have rigid tapping so I thread milled everything. Only time I thread mill now is on large custom threads. Most all my threads are pretty standard though. I form tap a crap load of 0-80 in aluminum. Love that speeeedio.

I quoted a titanium job with 6-32 spiralock threads in it once. I was very happy to see that quote not become a job. Neat part, but total nightmare to produce

This is one is on my order list- Single Form Thread Mill .372 Dia X 1.125 Max Depth TiAlN Coated Made in USA MariTool

I think it'll cover most everything I want, NPT forms from 1/8" to 3/4" and probably 1" if you were careful.

Sent via CNC 88HS

That will be a very useful tool. I might get one myself.

Be careful thread milling npt with single point. Need to do perfect tapered hole if your using single point cutter. Multi tooth will cut the full form is much more forgiving and simpler. You dont need to buy every single size... 1/4 NPT threadmill will do 1/4 and 3/8. And also 1/2" will do 1/2 and 3/4.

That will be a very useful tool. I might get one myself.

Be careful thread milling npt with single point. Need to do perfect tapered hole if your using single point cutter. Multi tooth will cut the full form is much more forgiving and simpler. You dont need to buy every single size... 1/4 NPT threadmill will do 1/4 and 3/8. And also 1/2" will do 1/2 and 3/4.
Thanks for the heads up. I've been cutting a tapered hole, or boss, prior to using the threadmill.

Sent via CNC 88HS

Do you just use a bull nose end mill and a ramping toolpath? I've always just used the multi form for NPT...

Back