What's new
What's new

Mounting 4th/5th rotary on a pallet machine

claya

Cast Iron
I would like to leave a 5axis trunion type table on the B-pallet permanently. Own a aerospace prototype only job-shop. And is a big pain to R&R the rotary all the time. Does anyone just leave the rotary setup on a pallet machine? Buddy of mine suggested it at the same time I was thinking it, so figured there has to be someone else who has done it. I am looking at buying a Matsuura RA-1 for this idea. The trunion will be nearly the weight limit of the pallet, so that is a concern to add.

we do it frequently on the brother machines.
Whoa , why am I not even remotely impressed with these videos.
What's with the unneeded singing and dancing to show off axis speeds, and video one is what?
I'm sure it will hold a easy six-sigma sub micron cutting air.
You just lost a whole ton of brownie points with me.
It will be hard to take you seriously from now on.
I do know the salesman end of this world.. thought you better so a kudos for the previous fooling.

More to the OP. Yes it works on a rotating pallet and you can make it work on in-out pallet system.
Much depends on tolerance and how good that index will hold. Know under a tenth square can be hard. This multiplies much when you tilt and rotate.
Probing after index may help a bit with such errors. I do this on a Chrion to nail things, theses machines of course are not as sophisticated as a Brother.
You also have to handle the hyd, servo, and any air lines to keep them out of the way and not go bad if indexed or transferred often.
Showroom or toolshow stuff is one thing. 365/24/7 production often another.
Bob

Like this (pallet change toward the end):

Matsuura Model RA-1F 2 - Pallet Vertical Machining Center with 4th Axis Rotary Indexer - YouTube

As a Brother owner, my knee-jerk reaction was like BrotherFrank; namely 'Sure'. But the mention of a Matsuura RA-1 presumably means you are looking at an older, used machine (hence the short video) and new isn't in the budget. Also, no mention of part size, weight, material, etc. However, guess the video speaks directly to your basic question.

Fred

Tolerances: 0.0005".
Prototype only. Machines sits idle for days, and sometimes a week or more.
Materials: plastics (glass filled at times), AL7071, Ti6AL-4, carbon fiber, CMC, Inconel 718, hardened stainless, BeCu, Bronze, fiberglass, other high temp unobtaniums.
2.5d, 3D contouring, 4x contouring, 3+2 5axis. The big concern is, will the RA-1 table/motors handle the 500lb reunion load ALL the time, and maintain cut accuracy? Or are the RA-1, and MC -510 machines over spec'ed on table load? One used RA-1 we are looking at may have worn out ways already, so want to know what we are getting into.

Part sizes: 6"-8" cubes typically, or much smaller, although we did a AL6061 mold (8" X 4" X 14") recently. Part weight is nominal compared to that trunion.

Fred that was a Twenty second Toolchange, my ADD would go into over drive. Just watching the video was making me want to do some sweeping or something. :)

R

Back