What's new
What's new

MPGs

Michael Moore

Titanium
Does anyone in the aftermarket offer a good quality MPG that will work with most any CNC equipment? A lot of the MPGs I see offered with control upgrades seem to be in the $300-600 range. I'm not terribly clear on what is inside one of them, but that seems like a lot for what appears to be a pretty simple device.

Every now and then there will be a used Fanuc MPG on eBay. Are MPGs sufficiently generic that they can be swapped between controls, or do they need to be designed specifically for each control?

Once electricity gets beyond the plumbing level (that's "if I pour electrons in this end of the pipe, they should come out at the far end") I make no claims of expertise on the subject.

thanks,
Michael

fanuc uses timed binary switches to set the magnification scale of the pulse generator. The generator itself as long as the voltages are correct would probably work, but getting the silly thing to interface would be worht the money not to have to yell and scream and kick h*%#* out of something in the process of install.

OK, it sounds like things are a bit more complicated than they seemed, but I'm getting used to that.

I wasn't really looking for one for the Delta20. Rather, I'd been looking at the Centroid/Ajax stuff again (as I do every week or so) and noticed their MPGs seemed pretty expensive. I guess there may be a reason why they are expensive.

cheers,
Michael

Hi Charles,

That is significantly more expensive than the Centroid MPGs. They must be very special parts, suitable for use only by the most highly-skilled machinists.

cheers,
Michael

Back