What's new
What's new

Multiple Tools on 1 Turret Station...

JBNimble

Plastic
HAAS newbie question on tool and offset designation. I have a few holders that let me put more than one tool at each station. The book is vague on this, but I did discover through experimentation today the following: First, the turret number in the offset table seems to be reference info only because it can be set to any number. I filled them out for good record keeping, but they have no impact on operations.
Instead, the turret station called is the one that was in the active position when the tool offsets were established. Calling a tool in a program follows the format T101, where the first part is the turret station, and the last part is the offset table (1 to 99), which is just the reverse order of the first two columns in the offset table. Again, the book is vague so this is entirely summarized from my hands on testing today. Does this logic match reality for other HAAS lathe operators out there? Is there anything else I need to know with respect to tool offsets for multiple tools on each station?

Last edited:
You've got it, BUT one caveat!!!

If you manually index the turret, the active offset will be defaulted to the turret position.
IOW typing in T6 and then hitting TURRET FWD will index the turret to station 6 and activates Offset 06.

SO if you have multiple tools in station 6 and you're trying to make a cut with something other than the "default" tool in Offset 06, you will get a nasty surprise!!!

Same thing applies if you give multiple offsets to the same tool in a station. I for example always assign 2 separate offset for my finish grooving tool ( let it be ID or OD )
One is direction 3, the other is Direction 4. Their X offsets will be identical, but the Z offset for dir 4 will be below by the tool width.
In that case, let's say T606 is Dir 3 for the back side of the groove and T616 is the front side, just indexing to Station 6 will activate T606 only!!!
If you want Offset 16 and do something meaningful with it, you would need to MDI in
T616
M00
and then hitting
CYCLE START ( green button )

Back