What's new
What's new

Nakamura Slant Jr Lathe Fanuc 10T parameter backup

kineticmx

Aluminum
Hi folks, Looked at a mid 80’s Nakamura Slant Jr last week and im considering buying it this coming week. Its equipped with a Fanuc 10T control. This will be my first fanuc equipped machine purchase and way older than anything I have ran before, so please excuse my noob questions.

I was able to see the machine running under power and it looked and sounded good to my untrained eyes. I have a few questions regarding the control and electrical system.

First, if I purchase it are their batteries I should change out before it spends a week or two without power? I would hate to buy it and loose all the parameters during the move. something tells me they would be VERY difficult to track down and reload.

Second, This machine is set up for rs232 communication for program loading, however the cable was cut as this shop is being cleared out. Is configuring the port to communicate with a laptop something I should be worried about? My experience loading programs into CNC machines is limited to usb and floppy disks on haas machines.

Lastly, Service on the boards and drives is something I hope to avoid, but are there any companies still offering parts for a machine of this age?

The price is really good (I’ll have it purchased and moved into my shop for under 4k total) since they are trying to unload all this equipment. To my understanding the Nakamura slant lathes are built like tanks. However I am still apprehensive to drag home such an old piece of iron. Any insight is appreciated, even if its to run the other direction.

Thanks, Teddy

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hi folks, Looked at a mid 80’s Nakamura Slant Jr last week and im considering buying it this coming week. Its equipped with a Fanuc 10T control. This will be my first fanuc equipped machine purchase and way older than anything I have ran before, so please excuse my noob questions.

I was able to see the machine running under power and it looked and sounded good to my untrained eyes. I have a few questions regarding the control and electrical system.

First, if I purchase it are their batteries I should change out before it spends a week or two without power? I would hate to buy it and loose all the parameters during the move. something tells me they would be VERY difficult to track down and reload.

Second, This machine is set up for rs232 communication for program loading, however the cable was cut as this shop is being cleared out. Is configuring the port to communicate with a laptop something I should be worried about? My experience loading programs into CNC machines is limited to usb and floppy disks on haas machines.

Lastly, Service on the boards and drives is something I hope to avoid, but are there any companies still offering parts for a machine of this age?

The price is really good (I’ll have it purchased and moved into my shop for under 4k total) since they are trying to unload all this equipment. To my understanding the Nakamura slant lathes are built like tanks. However I am still apprehensive to drag home such an old piece of iron. Any insight is appreciated, even if its to run the other direction.

Thanks, Teddy

good solid machine,
if I were you and its still powered up I would turn it on change the batteries(there "D's") let it sit 30 mins, shut it downn and power it back up, make sure all the prms are still in it. then you should be good.
DONT take out the batts with the machine not hooked up and ON or your F'd. no ifs ans or butts about it.
dont even open the cover with the power OFF.
you can still get prms from factory, but all make sure you have the prm list in the back of cabinet it helps if somethign happened.
as far as rs232 theres no issues with the cable being cut. its a plug in anyway.
my t10 has no problem running 9600 and above, its a lathe so programs are short anyhow.
the 10T is a good control I use it on my citizen

you can still find most parts for a 10t, drives motherboards power supplies etc and alot of shops repair them.

Nakamura still supports it with parts as does Fanuc with the 10T although there are plenty of 3rd party places for Fanuc parts that are more reasonable.
Parameters are backed up through the "Service" page using "Read/Punch" - old tape terms. RS 232 is no problem.
Others have said it, but once you power up, leave the control ON and replace the batteries. Don't touch them with power off.
Also you will have to manually back up your PC parameters, timers and keep relays but this is easy.

It's a money maker. A friend just bought a similar machine (late 80s build) and it makes money for him!

Fanuc 10 is real solid. Well, with red cap servos it is.

I would just take pictures of all the parameters, timer settings, etc and move it.

Fanuc 10 is better than the 0 that came after it.

If you choose to backup the parameters through RS232 I believe the standard procedure will not output the 900s. I'm believe there is a key combo or something like that to get it to output the 900s but I forget what it may be. Easy enough to take a pic/video of that page and offload the rest. I've seen several times where people back up parameters but didn't have the 900s

Just a few things I wish I had known when starting out.

Thank you for all the info! I put a deposit on the lathe and should have it in my shop by this weekend if all goes to plan.

Does anyone know what this machine has for strapping points? Going to be hauling it about 100 miles on a flat deck trailer, I didnt see anything in my initial inspection but im hoping I can run chains right through the base of the casting.

Some good and some bad; it comes with a collet chuck as well as a 6” three jaw chuck, the bad, no tool holders and no tailstock. I know i’m going to be spending a lot of money on VDI toolholders in the next couple months.
240ac0dd5a704ddb9958f0b7a73d6534.jpg

64d2b68cddf0c60b8c127677169862cb.jpg

dffc3e22378130cba3df3359180c1a3f.jpg

There's usually access covers in the base casting you can open up to run chains through on a small slant type CNC lathe.

I rarely use tailstock for anything on a CNC lathe. If you don't need it it really is nice to not have it in your way. And it never fails that a 30 year old CNC lathe will start gushing hydraulic fluid from failed tailstock seals or hoses right when you really need the machine to run.

I dont think that machine has VDI tooling.
That being said thats a nice looking machine wish I could find something like that. I have the slant 50 which is a 10" chuck.
methods in Boston is very help still and the russian dude (cant remember his name) is as smart as they come. both in the electronic aspects of that machine and the mechanical.

garwood on the tailstock but when you need it and dont have it, it absoluetly sucks.
nice think about this machine is that you can back it way off it if was equipped with one. also you can plug the lines if you have leaks.

Again thats a sweat ass machine

56f4c381f1f2c1eb9f0438e618b20cc3.jpg

I think this is vdi but maybe not? As I begin looking into tooling it seems like vdi is common for live tooling, do they have different orientation configurations on different machines/ mtb’s? I ask because I keep seeing really odd toolholders such as boring bar holders that would orient a boring bar with the x axis, seems like it was designed for a turret with a totally different configuration. I also am seeing a lot of km32 adapters, not sure if this is something worth considering.

I’m used to setting up a haas turret with mostly 1” shank turning tools and tool blocks for boring tools. This additional tool holder will take some getting used to.

I dont think that machine has VDI tooling.

Really? Looks look a dead ringer for VDI.

Usually you get a Pallet of VDI tooling when you buy a VDI machine though. I hope the machine itself was real cheap. Toolholders are going to cost a fortune for that thing.

Usually you get a Pallet of VDI tooling when you buy a VDI machine though. I hope the machine itself was real cheap. Toolholders are going to cost a fortune for that thing.

Unfortunately this shop was recently acquired by another shop and they decided to remove all of the tooling to sort through. Guy I’m dealing with thinks they have another machine that takes VDI so he’s checking and if they don’t need it I can buy it. Fingers crossed it comes up for grabs but just in case I’m budgeting another 1500-2000 for tool holders.

If anyone has any tool holders they are willing to part with I will be a buyer for sure.

I can't count how many times I've seen machines stripped of all tooling before sold and then a few years later it all ends up in a dumpster.

My favorite line when buying a machine from any big company is "So what else you got?". Get into their racks of shit they have no idea why they are saving and make some deals.

Seriously though, OP, I'd have a heart to heart talk with your contact your buying the machine from and explain a 30 year old lathe with an empty VDI turret is kind of a rough spot to be starting out. Hopefully they'll load you up with toolholders.

Yeah that was my bad, I couldn't see it in his 1st pic, the second post with pics one clearly shows VDI

My favorite line when buying a machine from any big company is "So what else you got?". Get into their racks of shit they have no idea why they are saving and make some deals.

Seriously though, OP, I'd have a heart to heart talk with your contact your buying the machine from and explain a 30 year old lathe with an empty VDI turret is kind of a rough spot to be starting out. Hopefully they'll load you up with toolholders.

They are trying to empty this place out and he’s practically begging me to take a 12”x16” wellsaw auto band saw. I told him i’ll take it if he finds me some goddamn tool holders lol. Anyone ever ran one of these saws? I have a perfectly running kalamazoo h9aw, and I definitely don’t have room for another saw but I have a feeling its coming home. Auto saw would be pretty awesome for some of my production stuff but really dont want to dedicate the space to an infeed right now.

Back