What's new
What's new

Narrowing down 5 axis decision

Naskhan

Plastic
We are evaluating different 5 axis machines to add to our line up of laser cutters and 3 axis machines.

Currently trying to decide between: DMU 50 Okuma m460v -5ax Matsuura mx520

We have a m560v currently so naturally we were leaning towards the m460v. What we don’t like is that the spindle is limited to 15k rpms (want 20k) and the tools are locked at 32 (prefer 60). Other downside would be the seemingly lack of automation options.

Matsuura has the smallest footprint which we appreciate being that we have a smaller facility. Also their pallet changing upgrade path is attractive. Their reputation in the 5 axis realm is also a plus

The dmu50 3rd gen has the pedigree and nice control, compact and ergonomic. Also has an automation upgrade path.

Anyone with experience or info on any of these they can share?

We are evaluating different 5 axis machines to add to our line up of laser cutters and 3 axis machines.

Currently trying to decide between: DMU 50 Okuma m460v -5ax Matsuura mx520

We have a m560v currently so naturally we were leaning towards the m460v. What we don’t like is that the spindle is limited to 15k rpms (want 20k) and the tools are locked at 32 (prefer 60). Other downside would be the seemingly lack of automation options.

Matsuura has the smallest footprint which we appreciate being that we have a smaller facility. Also their pallet changing upgrade path is attractive. Their reputation in the 5 axis realm is also a plus

The dmu50 3rd gen has the pedigree and nice control, compact and ergonomic. Also has an automation upgrade path.

Anyone with experience or info on any of these they can share?

I think it kinda depends how badly or realistically you will go to enhanced automation / pallet system / robot.

The Okuma M-460 V 5ax I think comes with 48 tools now. If you get 1000 psi TSC not sure if you get cyclonic de-mister with that ? Are you happy with your current service and support from OKUMA locally ?

I saw at a MAZAK West Coast open house a Danish Co-bot movable arm operate a Mazak lathe/turning center that was not tricked out for automation options. So the Robot arm opened the door (with special gripper/ claw) switched the part out with a blank/raw stock (not sure how it did that) closed the door 'Manually" and pressed cycle start. Not sure if an Okuma M-460V -5ax can be hacked the same way ? [I.e. the machine does not know whether a human or a machine is opening it's doors and pushing it's buttons.]. (Not sure on your weight/mass and size and geometry of parts).

@Naskhan how much extra $ would you be willing to spend to bring further automation to your shop floor ?

One way to scale might be to keep a 5 axis machine for development / more time consuming prototype work and then buy another additional 5 axis machine (with enhanced automation options) for more intensive runs of production parts + so called "lights out" / extra shift (even with partial so called "High-mix low volume" ? [@Naskhan not clear on the nature of your work, Job shop or in-house manufacturing etc. ? ].

_________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

MAZAK variaxis I-300 (w) might be worth a look. VARIAXIS i-3�� AWC

Also HERMLE C-250 with robot arm, and Also other machines from MAZAK perhaps like VARIAXIS J-500 through to I-600 ? [Even VC- 500 5ax has a small pallet changer option these days ? (much more reasonably priced). ] IF you buy the Matsuura MX-520 with the pallet carousel later then that is usually more expensive than buying that all together up front .

@Naskhan What brand are your laser cutters ? (Just out of interest ?)

Back