What's new
What's new

NC Helix Drill

Practically everything I've ever seen from Nine9 is an (expensive) solution in search of a problem. That looks no different.

Yeah. It seems I may have the problem for this solution. .625" holes in cast steel exiting out the side of the part at 24 degrees.

Yeah. It seems I may have the problem for this solution. .625" holes in cast steel exiting out the side of the part at 24 degrees.

If your hole is shallow enough that you can helical drill it with that thing, then it's shallow enough that a half decent insert drill is not going to care about the inclined exit...

Like I said, it's a pointless tool with no really useful application.

If your hole is shallow enough that you can helical drill it with that thing, then it's shallow enough that a half decent insert drill is not going to care about the inclined exit...

Like I said, it's a pointless tool with no really useful application.

The hole is about 2.5" deep. I will be using the shaft style for that depth. We have been using an insert drill. We plunge until the break through and then finish at a lower feed. It works great for about 250 parts (8 holes each part) and then the $700 drill gets structural fatigue and snaps off at the base of the flutes.

The hole is about 2.5" deep. I will be using the shaft style for that depth. We have been using an insert drill. We plunge until the break through and then finish at a lower feed. It works great for about 250 parts (8 holes each part) and then the $700 drill gets structural fatigue and snaps off at the base of the flutes.

What drill?

Based on his numbers ( 8 holes per part and 250 parts) it breaks at 2000 holes. I’d be in touch with the tool manufacturer to see what they say about that.

Personally, I smell some BS in his post.

Based on his numbers ( 8 holes per part and 250 parts) it breaks at 2000 holes. I’d be in touch with the tool manufacturer to see what they say about that.

Personally, I smell some BS in his post.

Nope. No BS. Why would you think that? This is cast steel. It is not good cast. We plunge at 6ipm, retract and finish at 1.5ipm. We rotate inserts every 7-8 parts.

Nope. No BS. Why would you think that? This is cast steel. It is not good cast. We plunge at 6ipm, retract and finish at 1.5ipm. We rotate inserts every 7-8 parts.

For one thing, I have done all sorts of abuse to insert drills that you can't even imagine, and I have never seen one break off at the base of the flutes.

Why are you retracting?

What is the actual material you're cutting?

What drill?

Nope. No BS. Why would you think that?...........

Breaking the drill body at the base of the flutes in typical use just does not sound believable to me. I’ve seen those get crazily abused right up to being friction welded in a hole and have never seen one break there. Probably the worst failure I can recall is seeing one that split down the web.

Back