What's new
What's new

NC punch code for paper tape ?

Milacron

Administrator
Staff member
Anyone got a link that shows what each hole in a punched tape actually means ? I've got books from the 1970's, somewhere in my mess that gives that info but not in the mood to look for them right now...

Anyone got a link that shows what each hole in a punched tape actually means ?
Punched tape originally used five-level Baudot code; later seven-level ASCII. I assume yours is the latter.

Information is encoded in binary, with a hole = 1 and no hole = 0.

Lay the tape out side to side, with the feed holes above the center line. This gives four holes below the feed and three above. Each column is one character. The bottom hole is the least-significant bit, and the top hole is most significant.

You can read the code as hexadecimal, octal, or binary, which ever you wish. Look up the code on any ASCII chart (google "ascii code chart"). Here's a good table: http://www.asciitable.com/ with decimal, hexadecimal, and octal values for each character.

Ignore the column on the left except for "carriage return" and "line feed". The second and third columns have all the characters you'll likely encounter in this application.

- Leigh

I have pages showing the hole patterns for both EIA and ISO punched code. I have converted them to pdf format and can email or fax them to you but I don't know how thru this forum. If you can tell me how I will be glad to send them to you. I tried to up load the pdf file but it was too large. If you send me you email address I will send them to you.

atr

I have pages showing the hole patterns for both EIA and ISO punched code. I have converted them to pdf format and can email or fax them to you but I don't know how thru this forum. If you can tell me how I will be glad to send them to you. I tried to up load the pdf file but it was too large. If you send me you email address I will send them to you.

atr
I think I need ASCII. My email is [email protected] , thanks !

I could fax a page out of a book, showing both formats.
I won't type it in to send it in ascii.

Here they are in jpg in case someone else needs them in the future.

Attachments

• DSCN9479-1200.jpg
    DSCN9479-1200.jpg
    94.4 KB · Views: 4,810
  • DSCN9480-1200.jpg
    DSCN9480-1200.jpg
    96.2 KB · Views: 6,901
  • DSCN9482-1200.jpg
    DSCN9482-1200.jpg
    73.1 KB · Views: 5,607

Back