What's new
What's new

Need a 1"Ø-ish high feed end for the Speedio

david n

Diamond
Slowly switching jobs over to the Brother............have a bunch of small steel parts that get material decked off when they get flipped for OP 2...................in the other mills I use a 1" indexable endmill and just plow it off................I'd like to see what's out they for a small high feed mill to accomplish the same goal for the Speedio...........I don't need length............a short stubby mill will be fine. What's out there? Materials range from 1018 to 4140HT to 300 series stainless......................TIA

I love the Seco Highfeed-2 stuff and used them extensively in a standard 16k S700 and also in a high torque 10k S1000 and R650. I used 0.75" and 1" in those machines. I now use a 1.25" unit in my Okuma that I don't think would run very well in a standard 16k LOL.

They have a very good variety of inserts, but the bodies and inserts are expensive.

After I left, they went to Sandvik for stainless and exotic alloys, and then to Dormer Pramet for their normal stuff. They are happy with them and they are evidently much less expensive.

I've used a 2" YG1 on a stubby lyndex arbor with decent luck on carbon steel in a 10K high torque machine. In stainless those inserts don't hold up and I've used a 3/4" Seco also with good luck. It's loud and you feel it in the floor but the machine doesn't seem to mind at all.

I'm such a whore with this video. Last one I took at the shop before it was time to go. Stories I've heard since then have validated my actions and decisions, but I do wish the best for current management.

Login • Instagram

Run the numbers based on the manufacturer speeds and feeds. I have an inserted 4-flute that does 42-45 cubes per minute and a 2-flute that will do 80 cubes at the same diameter. Flute count means nothing if you can run twice the SFM at half the flute count.

I've had good luck with the sandvik 1 1/4" with three inserts. We have a 1" with 2 inserts and it just sucks. The inserts last forever in steel and I've pushed them to .1 ipt .035doc 560sfm that was only .7ish wide cut with 2" though. If I bought one I'd get as many teeth on it as they would give you.

Sent from my SM-A115AP using Tapatalk

Sandvik 2" with 5 inserts my go to for any steel under 34rc is .03-035doc 1500rpm 300-600ipm whatever stepover.
1 1/4 with 3 inserts I run 170-300ipm 2000rpm I think
1" with 2 inserts sounds like ass at 100ipm and same sfm as others

Sent from my SM-A115AP using Tapatalk

So..............number of inserts? What difference does it make? Some of these small mills have 3-4-5 inserts?

More inserts means higher feed rates, but possibly lower ap depending on the insert size and geometry. So maybe you feed twice as fast but you only take half the axial doc. Net cycle time isn't drastic in some cases.

In our M140 we have an 0.875" diameter Mits AJX on a 3/4" shank. It can be choked up or extended in an ER32 to suit the job, or held with a set screw in a super stubby 3/4 EM holder. It's only a 2-flute. I like cutters with coarser pitches because larger inserts can take more of a beating. Also, it simply takes less time to index or swap out two inserts compared to three or four. I really hate tiny inserts with those tiny T6 torx screws.

fatfingers.gif

We used these at the last shop I worked at:

TG1F Hi-Feed Face Mill

Tungaloy Cutting Tools - Metal Working Tools - Milling - High-Feed Milling - TXN06

https://www.iscar.com/Products.aspx/CountryID/1/ProductId/12363

We used the Ingersoll tools for anything under an 1-1/2" in diameter as they all took the same inserts and had a better pocket geometry on the tool body.

We used the Iscar for everything 2.0" in diameter and up for the same reason and to get the extra 2 corners an insert. ( The tool bodies didn't hold up as well on these in the smaller inserts, would deform the pocket and wouldn't seat correctly.)

The tungaloy performed the best in my opinion. Inserts lasted longer and you could feed them faster and deeper. It used a bigger insert as well and seemed to cut the most freely.

Mostly did A36 , 4140HT, 1018, A2, 8620,

As with anything your mileage will vary. I would stay away from the Iscar high feed mills that are a Trigon and use the small insert as I explained above though. They liked to snap the heads off the little torx screws as well.

Sent from my moto g power using Tapatalk

I would just focus on maintaining at least 1 insert in the cut at all times. Shouldn't be too hard with the wide step overs normally used with high feed mills, but could depend on the parts you need to make.

Back