What's new
What's new

Need to add 4th axis to Mazak FJV-20, pre-wired!

Mykal1970

Plastic
Please tell me someone can help me resolve this issue. I’ll do my best to convey where I am in the process with the information that I possess; as I purchased it used and did not get the rotary table nor much of the manuals with it; I got it CHEAP (and luckily, it is super nice). I’ll start with the basics.
1997 Mazak FJV-20
Mazatrol M-Plus (MELDAS FCA-535) control
Is (unfortunately for me) a metric only machine
Can provide full list of options and any other pertinent information to be found on the control while in “privileged mode” upon request.
Well, after a quick inspection of the basics; it was indeed configured for use with a rotary (A) axis. A quick peek in the cabinet revealed an MDS-B-V1-05 Mitsubishi drive, labeled “A Axis.” Moving on to the machining envelope, sure enough, there are a pair of communication ports and a hydraulic quick disconnect (for the brake, I surmise). Both communication ports had their protective caps securely affixed, as well as a protective cover over the hydraulic quick disconnect; appears to have been in place since the machine was built. So, this leads me to believe that “all I need now” (LOL), would be an appropriately sized rotary table, with compatible servo motor, communications cables, and proper hydraulic line (again, for braking I suppose). It would stand to reason that I’ll have to actually “turn the option on” via parameters; which I wouldn’t imagine being too difficult to obtain from Mazak.....maybe?
It’s just such a shame having this little mill, in such AMAZING running condition. Previous owner must have had one Hell of PM department as the spindle looks and sounds like brand new, all the way up to the 12,000rpm max, the X,Y, and Z axis move as silently as a new machine would (at 100% rapid traverse), has a chip conveyor, and not a single Knick mark on the table, and even the slide way covers are perfect. It would be SO nice to have an actual full 4th on it as well.
If anyone out there can point me in the right direction or even have the components I need in order to make this happen; I’d be greatly appreciative.

Mike

Back