What's new
What's new

Need advice on machining O-Ring groove

markz528

Hot Rolled
I need to make a an o-ring groove that will capture the o-ring. In the past all the o-ring grooves I machined were for static pressure using the Parker guidelines and the o-rings move around in those grooves.

The project is a valve cover adapter for a race head. The top of the adapter is screwed and glued to the cast aluminum valve cover and the bottom rail will have the o-ring. The o-ring will be either a .103 or .139 diameter. 6061-T6 material.

My understanding is that the Harvey dovetail cutter is an excellent way to go. But I don't think I have a chance in hell of being successful with it but would appreciate feedback. Not sure if I looked at the .103 or .139 one, but the Harvey guideline is 28,000 rpm and 48 ips feed. Problem! My machine is only good for 4500 rpm! Any chance I can evacuate the chips at 4500 rpm so I don't break the cutter? I'm still learning my speeds and feeds so I don't know exactly what to expect.

This is not exactly a tough sealing application so my other plan is to just machine a rectangular slot that would pinch the o-ring by a few thousandths just so it doesn't slip out. I would determine the depth by trial and error.

Suggestions?

Picture of a wooden prototype valve cover adapter and a link to a Harvey cutter.

http://www.harveytool.com/ToolTechInfo.aspx?ToolNumber=23814

rail.jpg

4500 RPM is fine, just use a slower feed (and IPM, not IPS), perhaps .0008/tooth. Mill the slot to max width first, figure out where the safest entry point is for the dovetail cutter and open that up with a regular endmill.

Chip evacuation is what you care about, at worst an air blast, better a mist setup, best a proper coolant stream. Are you doing this on a manual mill, a CNC knee mill, or ?

Thanks! I meant IPM - IPS is a company I deal with........

The machine is an Atrump bed mill with a Centroid control. My current coolant system is not very good. Bought the machine new around a year ago. Pretty happy with it but there are some things that just need to be a bit better like the cooling system. I bought a good external pump/tank but have not plumbed it yet. I can do that before I do the grooves.

Do some test cuts on a scrap of Al before committing to the actual part. My .0008/tooth is just a quick guess, you can confirm with Harvey about best feed when using limited RPM. You also want to see if you can do a center pass, then two climb finish passes of about .002" offset - I don't know if these cutters are meant for one-shot cutting.

Be sure to have the program correct before cutting, any panic and a emergency stop will be unpleasant.

I'd go with the larger O-ring if possible. Use some 600 sandpaper to radius the upper edge of the cut groove to ensure no burrs or sharp edges when pressing in the O-ring. Clean the groove carefully before installing the seal. Watch this during use, you don't want crap in this groove during engine work.

usually you rough out most of material with roughing cutter and a 2nd cutter just takes a light finishing cut
if nothing else you get a better finish if only cutting small amounts

I use Internal Tool's oring cutters, but same thing applies: Run an endmill to remove the center, down to within 0.005 in depth, and leave a few 0.001's on each side for the dovetail to remove.

Spin it as fast as you can, flood it with coolant, and keep your feed rate commensurate to your RPM.
Bring on the Gravy!

Doug.

AB Tools sells a fantastic form cutter for this application. I use it for engine intake/head sealing surfaces, carburetor flanges, etc. It is for 1/8" standard oring material (0.140") you can get from McMaster or wherever. Make sure you're sitting down when you look at the price of the Loktite oring adhesive if you're installing the orings.

Oops Pierson Workholding sells this made by AB Tools. I got quotes from AB for a 1/16" Standard Oring of the same design and they were reasonable for sure.

A dovetailed o-ring groove is probably overkill for this application; I'd just mill it with a straight endmill and then use Vaseline to hold the o-ring in place during assembly. Superglue works to hold o-rings in place also.

A dovetailed o-ring groove is probably overkill for this application; I'd just mill it with a straight endmill and then use Vaseline to hold the o-ring in place during assembly. Superglue works to hold o-rings in place also.

I would check the o-ring mat'l before using super glue!

I use Internal Tool's oring cutters, but same thing applies: Run an endmill to remove the center, down to within 0.005 in depth, and leave a few 0.001's on each side for the dovetail to remove.

Spin it as fast as you can, flood it with coolant, and keep your feed rate commensurate to your RPM.
Bring on the Gravy!

Doug.

LoL ya if the tool doesn't break AND you have quoted appropriately. :cool: We did a few pieces that had some curvy geo for an o-ring (or some gasket), freekin' took forever to cut! Think it was a toolsteel or 4140ph....

This is not exactly a tough sealing application so my other plan is to just machine a rectangular slot that would pinch the o-ring by a few thousandths just so it doesn't slip out. I would determine the depth by trial and error.

Suggestions?

Picture of a wooden prototype valve cover adapter and a link to a Harvey cutter.

http://www.harveytool.com/ToolTechInfo.aspx?ToolNumber=23814

View attachment 263225

I wouldn't do that. The oring has to have room to displace. Look at the % squeeze in the deign guide for static glands. If you need a captive oring, go with the dovetail tool.

Thanks! I meant IPM - IPS is a company I deal with........

The machine is an Atrump bed mill with a Centroid control. My current coolant system is not very good. Bought the machine new around a year ago. Pretty happy with it but there are some things that just need to be a bit better like the cooling system. I bought a good external pump/tank but have not plumbed it yet. I can do that before I do the grooves.

So - just how much $ did you drop on a brand new POS?
What could you have gotten good/used for the same price?

Otherwise - Milland has you covered.
But in your app, I guess you better stand there with a blow gun and hep it out.

You may even want to hold the cutter in a holder that you can remove easily.
If you need to back out once you are in the groove - and started around a corner, getting out will be a nightmare!

You are expecting to only dovetail one side of the slot, or both?
I have done them both ways in face groove apps on the lathe.
I think that I would opt for "one sided" if it was up to me.

----------------------

Think Snow Eh!
Ox

Don't bother with the dovetail style for this application. The Pierson/AB cutter is simple a properly-sized bullnoze endmill with the chamfer geometry already in it. I profile ramp it down and it leaves the perfect channel for a 1/8" oring to press into the channel and seal. I use this for this exact application and it works great. If you're limited on surface area then you may need to get a 1/6" oring cutter instead.

You don't need to glue the oring into the channel, either, just press it in, trim the ends and glue the ends together, then reinstall by pressing it into the channel and you're good to go.

Back