Need better coolant, foaming issue - Page 2
Close
Login to Your Account
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

It's the upgrade from the 65psi standard one, so yeah, its on full time as far as I can tell. I still have the 65psi one stored way though but not sure if and how I could hook both up. I wanted the 145psi for U-drills mostly as that's where I hope this machine will save me time, but it is a crap load of coolant coming out, way more than my turning/boring needs. Parting blade might make use of it though as its got small coolant holes. Anyhow... trying to stick to only 3-4 battles at a time, this one will wait a bit...

2. Likes Ox liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Connecticut
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

We just started using Qualichem Xtreme cut 271 and it seems pretty good coolant life and removal of tramp oil is pretty good. We haven’t used it in our turning centers yet because currently we are using blaser but it foams like crazy despite being NF. After a couple more weeks we will be making the decision whether or not to switch entirely over and if/when we do I can report back with how it does in a lathe. Currently running it in a Hardinge GX480 APC running production and it’s holding pretty well it also comes clean off the part and doesn’t seem to rust any of the iron. It’s semi-synthetic.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Need better coolant, foaming issue

Fuchs -- funny name, serious coolant.

I sourced a new barrel of full synthetic via Fleabay about a year ago, and let me tell you it is some good stuff!

Machines have come clean inside on their own, and they stay clean!

And with the possible drawbacks of full synthetics being marginal lubricity and rust control, this Fuchs stuff has shown neither.

Tool life is just as good as the soluble we were using, and rust prevention has been incredible. And this is a year into the test!

Foaming is a bitch. Try weakening your mix to a lower concentration, and like Ox said, dial back the psi -- either with a different pump or some type of flow-control valve.

One thing you can do with all that extra pressure is split the line and install a full-time Z-axis way cover wash down.

Most Mazak lathes have this feature now, and I want to add this to my older ones when time allows, as chips always tend to collect on the Z cover between the turret and chuck.

ToolCat

5. Likes Ox liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

That's a good / quick / cheap idea.

To make it even more better would be to put a one way valve on that line, and hook it to an M code and you can use it to dump pressure when you don't need it.

Actually, a 3 way valve might werk more better as you could plumb it so's that it normally dumps, and then you energize it to get the more pressure in the occassions that you want it.

----------------------

Think Snow Eh!
    Ox